1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher Fluid Color

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by TeamBrain Damag, Jan 19, 2010.

1. TeamBrain Damag

TeamBrain Damag Junior Member
    from MA/NH

Is the older fisher fluid color clear, and the new fluid is blue?
    Can they be mixed, I need to add some fluid right now, to a system with small leak
    but won't have time for a couple of weeks to change out all the fluids, or make the repair. thx

2. wildbl1500

wildbl1500 Senior Member

older was red- it least it was in my 2001 RD

3. TeamBrain Damag

TeamBrain Damag Junior Member
    from MA/NH

thx wildbill, I think
    i should add it is a MM1 with insta-act, I think the older insta act fluid was clear or slightly tellow is

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  4. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

The red was ATF, dealers used it for years in both electric pumps and belt driven setups. The blue fluid is Fisher's current fluid for electric pumps, it CANNOT be used on underhood setups. It is very flamable.

The clear fluid in there is likely a hydraulic fluid used by the dealer or a previous refill. Generally they can be mixed in a pinch, I once put 10w40 in one after a hose broke in the middle of the night. You want something that will stay fluid even in cold temps. The blue fluid is really what the Insta Acts are supposed to run on. I do know people that put ATF in them. I have been changing SEHPs to the blue fluid as well.

If you need to top it off go ahead and then do a full fluid change, including the angle cylinders as soon as you can.

The aftermarket blue fluid that you get from Tractor Supply or NAPA etc is near identical in properties to the Fisher stuff and a lot cheaper.