1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher EZ-V to MVP Conversion

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by ATWE, Oct 16, 2010.

1. ATWE

ATWE Junior Member
    from Chicago

Does anybody know if the base angles are inter-changeable between the EZ-V and the MVP? I have a 7 year old EZ-V that's in damn good shape but time to replace the base angles. Because of all the problems I've had in the past especially with that stupid rubber flap on the EZ-V, I was wondering if I could put the base angles and then cutting edges from the MVP on the existing blade.

Any help is appreciated.

2. mjstef

mjstef Senior Member

I was told no by a Fisher Engineer......

3. ATWE

ATWE Junior Member
    from Chicago

Thought I'd ressurect this post. I got hold of Fisher also and they told me just the opposite. I think it depends on who you talk to. I talked to a couple different people. One finally told me that it was do-able with some slight modifications. I went ahead and purchased the 4 piece cutting edges for the Extreme-V. All that needed to be done to make them work was drill new mounting holes in the base angles and nip off the inside corners so the center blades could bend around. One hour worth of modification for a MUCH better cutting edge than that stupid rubber flap. Plowed 4 times now with it and love it!

4. mjstef

mjstef Senior Member

" and nip off the inside corners so the center blades could bend around."

Are you talking the base angle or the cutting edges??

5. ATWE

ATWE Junior Member
    from Chicago

Nip off the corners of the base angles.

For clarification (I was tired this morning) my reply was about how the Extreme-V cutting edges will fit on the original base angles from the EZ-V. After replying, I realized that my original post a couple months ago was about replacing the actual base angles which I've been told are nowhere near swappable, however, the cutting edges are.

6. Do you have any pics of what you did? I got a similar issue with my EZV. Thanks.

7. Shop's Lawn

Shop's Lawn Senior Member

I would like to see pics also- I will need to replace my cutting edges soon and would like to update and get rid of the rubber boot also.

8. ATWE

ATWE Junior Member
    from Chicago

Unfortunately I don't, however there wouldn't be much to take pictures of. If you guys want to see what it looks like afterwards I can run outside and take a couple, but you're not going to see much. Here's what I did, step by step:

Removed the old cutting edges (the rubber flap was no longer there). Clamped the new cutting edges into place where I wanted them. Marked the new holes in the base angles, un-clamped the cutting edges and drilled new mounting holes in the existing base angles. Mounted the new cutting edges.

The biggest modification comes in to play with mounting the "center cutting edges". Hold those up in place and you'll see that the inside curve does not fit around the existing base angles. Mark the area that needs to be nipped off, for me it was about an inch if I remember correctly. I used a torch to cut the base angles, however a cutting wheel or even a sawzall will do the job. Hold up the center cutting edges, remove more base angle if you need to, if not, mount them. The center cutting edges mounting holes are slots so you can slide them in an out however you need to. Mine did rub against each other just a little bit. I easily could have ground off a corner, but figured the first time I plowed that the pavement would take care of that for me. That was it. My plow is a little bent/twisted/warped from years of hitting pot holes and manhole covers, so the cutting edges didn't sit perfectly flat against the pavement at first. After about a half hour of plowing they wore down and are sitting perfect right now. I also went with the 1/2" edge vs. the 3/8" edge. They made a horrendous noise that first half hour while they were wearing down, but are back to normal now.

My big thing was that I wanted to make any/all modifications to the base angles and no mod's to the cutting edges. This way, when I go to replace the cutting edges next time, I won't have to make any mod's at all, just bolt them up.

Let me know if you want to see a couple "after" pictures.

9. Thanks for the detailed explanation. I get what you did. Did you have poor luck with the new style rubber flap (one piece, not two)??

10. ATWE

ATWE Junior Member
    from Chicago

Motorman, I'm not familiar with a new style of rubber flap, mine was always the 1 piece. Where'd you see that?

11. samjr

samjr Senior Member

so no mods too

So no mods too the cutting Edges just the base angles? was it just the bottom of it or the 1"off the end?

And did any of the holes line up or no ?

12. Sorry, didn't mean to confuse the issue. The old style (original issue) rubber flap was 2 pieces of rubber and 2 metal brackets. The "new" style is one solid piece between 2 brackets.

13. ATWE

ATWE Junior Member
    from Chicago

Samjr, no mods to the cutting edges, just the base angles. Cuts were made to the inside edges (middle of plow) to both base angles. If I remember correctly, 2 original holes on each side worked, but not positive.