1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

fisher ez-v problems

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by spartagr, Dec 12, 2011.

1. spartagr

spartagr Junior Member
    from NY

I have a 03 GMC sierra with the 4 port iso module, all newly wired, and an EZ-V plow that I converted over from 2 plug to 3 plug system, all of these new plugs I bought from a fisher dealer and they guided me as to what I needed to do this conversion.
    the problem is I somehow fried the board on the 9 button fish stik, just paid $200. today for a new baord that the dealer said was fried, and I still have no power to the controler.. .could the relay be fried also?
    And what did I do wrong to have the truck and plow lights on at the same time. truck lights turned off 1 time with light harness connected, and not once since?

Any help would be greatly appriciated... THANKS!!!

2. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

Check the fuse under the hood 7.5 amp for the controller 15 amp for the park/turn. You should also have one of these inline fuses attached to your controller power wire in the cab.
    [​IMG]

3. spartagr

spartagr Junior Member
    from NY

both fuses uder the hood are good, one is 10 amp the other 15... any other ideas?

4. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Sounds like you may have blown the fuses to me as well. I would start by checking them, but more importantly, I would run back over everything prior to operating again.

The fact that you fried a PCB is pretty significant. Although it's not un heard of, there are safeguards in place to prevent it.

A few things to check over truck side. First make sure that you tightly fastened the white cord into the new PCB. What did you use for an accessory wire for the control? Is it fused? If you used something similar to what Chevy posted above, what socket did you use it in? Check your trucks owners manual or cover if unsure. Double check your Motor Relay (Solenoid) under the hood, make sure the proper terminals are being used.

A few things plow side to check. First check your connections at the grill, although not easy to do, the 2 pin power cable can be reversed....or so I've been told :rolleyes:. If you re wired your plow, you should double check your power and ground connections on the pump. Did you reuse the existing harness, or did you buy new? If used, it's a good idea to fully examine the inside of each connector for wear, or melted rubber / plastic. Double check that all your cartridge valves are wired correctly.

Did you splice in your DRL connection at the trucks headlamps? When you replaced your board, and plugged it back in, was the plow still connected to the truck?

Just an FYI, there are fuses on the actual PCB as well. If you still have your old board, you might want to check to see if that was the only thing wrong. Refer to page 2 on this link....... Control 9800

5. spartagr

spartagr Junior Member
    from NY

im guessing the PCB is the board in the fish stik controler? I had it tested and replaced at a fisher dealer, they also tested new board and confirmed it was working. The dealer gave me a piggy back fuse thing and told me they run it into the "hvac" fuse, so thats what I did for power. Truck side control wire,and battery wire are brand new.. Plow side, lighting and control wire are brand new, only old wire is the power cable.
    Is it possible that when the board in the controler got fried that the motor relay got toasted also?

Thanks agian for your help!

6. spartagr

spartagr Junior Member
    from NY

the dealer had tested the board and told me it was bad.... they sold me the fuses,.. pack of 5 for $42.and replaced one, but they said it didnt solve the problem, so thats when I bought a new board from them, and they replaced it and tested it... Do you think they may have scammed be so I would buy a new board?

7. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

Yes printed circuit board. I forgot the ez-v have a 10 amp fuse where the straight blades have a 7.5 amp

8. RepoMan207

from Maine

Doubtful that they scammed you on the board....the fuse, maybe. Any dealers I deal with would of taken them back out and not charged you. $42 is a bit much too.

9. spartagr

spartagr Junior Member
    from NY

so do you think my next move should be to replace the motor relay? what else could I have done wrong?

10. RepoMan207

from Maine

Well, where and how did you connect your accessory wire? And, what about your DRL's, did you splice them in?

11. spartagr

spartagr Junior Member
    from NY

accessory wire? the red wire to power the controler? I connected it into the HVAC fuse... I did splice into the drls...

12. RepoMan207

from Maine

You can chop that splice for the DRL and see if it makes a difference. You don't need it, in fact I never splice it in. This would only effect your light situation.

Power...I would take a step back and go over everything as a fresh install...atleast mentally. Replacing the solenoid isn't the worst idea, but atleast make sure that it's wired right.

Did you have to insert the wires into the end of the control harness under the dash...where it plugs into the actual controllers harness? (Round with 10 pins)...You may want to take a good look at this, one swapped wire could spell trouble. See Pg. 11 of the install guide.

The light harness was new correct?

Mechanics Guide Link

Install Guide

Here is an over all shot of what your looking at.......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  13. spartagr

spartagr Junior Member
    from NY

I guess that I will retrace all the wires.. and replace the motor relay..

thanks for all your help

14. spartagr

spartagr Junior Member
    from NY

I retraced everything, replaced the relay, and still nothing..
    What does the plug next to the fuses in the control harness go to? also there is one small red wire plow side off the power cable that I dont have pluged into anything, did I miss that? where would it go into? a solenoid on the plow?

15. RepoMan207

from Maine

The plug directly next to the fuses is a configuration plug. You shouldn't have anything in there, GM's are configured directly at the headlamps.

ahhh, ok, you need to elaborate further on the small red wire. Where about's on the power cable are we talking? Do you see it in the above diagram layout?

16. spartagr

spartagr Junior Member
    from NY

the little red wire is on the plow side, it comes out of the power harness, and was plugged into the old control/light harness... couldnt find a place for it in the new control harness

17. spartagr

spartagr Junior Member
    from NY

I used that same diagram above to wire the truck, I did exactly like the picture... thats why I cant figure out why I cant get the plow to work.....

18. spartagr

spartagr Junior Member
    from NY

I did install the wires into the 10 pin mount... I double checked that I have each color in the right number.. only thing that might be backwards is light blue with stripe, and blue with stripe?

19. RepoMan207

from Maine

I forget that you had converted this plow to a 3 plug.....don't worry about the little red wire, that was due to the old harness provisions.

20. spartagr

spartagr Junior Member
    from NY

Ok, so what do think now? what else could be causing the now power to the controler issue? Should I just take it somewhere? I dont know what else to do.
    thanks again for all of your help!