1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher EZ V, How big?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by PoolDude, Nov 27, 2005.

1. PoolDude

PoolDude Junior Member

Quick Question:I have an '05 F250 Crew Cab (srw), and I'm having a Fisher EZ V (my first Vplow) mounted tomorrow a.m..Is:confused: the 8 1/2 sufficient, or should I go for the 9 1/2?? Thanks to anyone with advice!

2. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

Depends what your doing. If your doing commerical lots, bigger is always better.
    Is there any reason you'd need a small plow? The fords got a nice solid front axle and won't have a problem with a 9.5 foot plow. Look at the guys with fords that have blizzards on them and those are at least as heavy I'm guessing.

3. Plow Size

I have an 03 F-250 single cab with a Fisher HD series 8 footer. Even with the plow angled all the way, it is wider than the truck is--the 8.5 is bigger, and the 9.5 is even bigger than that one. Just think about that fact before you go too big.

I hope your truck came with the plow suspension. I had to replace my front springs as they weren't stiff enough to handle the weight of the plow. When I lifted the plow, the front of the truck took a 3-4" dive, and every dip in the road turned into a 4-6" dip in the truck. Now with the plow suspension springs, it falls only 1/2" when lifting the plow and no more dips when driving.

RON​

4. PoolDude

PoolDude Junior Member

Thanks for the replies! Guess I will go with the 8 1/2', although I could probably handle the larger one when tilted or "Veed". Yes. I do have snow plow prep (5600# front axle with gas, but diesels have 6000#), but my mistake was settling for the 5.4 v8, instead of 'dishing out' for the diesel. MAN, what a mistake!!! This is my 4th 5.4, and the weakest one yet despite the 3 valve and 5 speed B.S.! I should've at least gotten the v10. Otherwise, the truck is great and should handle the EZV. Hope it snows in CT!

5. pools&plowingct

pools&plowingct Member

hey pooldude what pool company you work for

6. PoolDude

PoolDude Junior Member

Sorry, Pools&Plowing. I haven't been on for a few days, so I didn't see your question. Urban is the answer.

7. csonallandscape

csonallandscape Junior Member

9 foot plow on f 250

i bought my 2002 f 250 new and i have a 9 foot fisher plow on it with a big metal foil. it is heavy but the truck holds it up. here is a trick with ford. if you buy a ford new and i complain about how you put a plow on it and it sags tell them you would of bought a chevy or a dodge. i did that and they put f 450 springs in the front for free. but u have to call the corp. office and tell them your story,

craig

:drinkup:

8. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I woulda went with the 9.5.....actually I did go with the 9.5 on my chevy :D But that neither hen nor there(although all the wireing ect is the same if you havent used it your dealer may take your 8.5 in on trade and it may not cost you much more)

But most importantly for guys that complain about sag(and even guys that dont) Proper ballast is vry important. My trucks nose droped like a MF with no ballast but with the right amount of ballast it drops less than 1.5"