1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher EZ V Bent

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by PPP, Mar 16, 2007.

1. PPP

PPP Member

Anyone have a problem with the reinforced area on the back of the plow buckeling? I've only used the plow lightly and it's only 15 months old. I noticed it the other day when I was washing it.
  2. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

ive had that problem on 2 or mine and cut that area out and welded in angle iron
  3. chaseatg

chaseatg Member

That rear panel on the ezv plows are engineered to buckle, that feature was put in the design as a stress relief when you hit something to hard and flexed the blade. there is no need to cut anything out and weld angle in, there is nothing wrong other than to tell your operator to not hit snow banks that are frozen solid that hard.
  4. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

the ez v are made cheaply thats why they bend!
  5. chaseatg

chaseatg Member

I'm sorry you feel that way, I have used Ezv's for 9 years without bending one.
    The engineer at Fisher who did the major design of the EZV explained the buckleing of the reinforment was built in for that purpose. Let's face it a lot of drivers slam snow banks and abuse equipment.
  6. premier homes

premier homes Member

the New EZ-V Has several flaws that need to be addressed. they are definately made much cheaper that the old onesHere is a 4 MONTH OLD PLOW!!!!! luckully its under warranty. can you imagine how much:cry: it would cost to have this job done
    this was torn off under normal conditions.
    they have to replace angle cylinder, mould board and centerpin. this is so much B-llsh-t!!
    Ithink they should replace thjis peice of .... It has been back to the dealers FIVE times:realmad: Thinking of selling it and buying something else? i cant deal with this much downtime!

2005 dodge truck 001.jpg

2005 dodge truck 016.jpg

2005 dodge truck 007.jpg
  7. chaseatg

chaseatg Member

Wow what did you HIT?

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

If you are going to buy something better buy a boss. I love mine. Just my $0.02.
  9. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

You tore the front of the cylinder away. No way you can say that was normal use. A cylinder like that is to take most of its force down the shaft. Even though it is double acting it should not be used to pull much more then the wing back. From those pictures I would say something caught on the end and twisted that side off, or something caught while backdragging.

I could be wrong. I think you are lucky to get it replaced fully. If no single thing made it break then you should have noticed something wrong before it totally failed. That whole wing would have been flopping around or something.
  10. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

My guess would be the cylinder went when the center pin gave way. There is no way that cylinder could take all that after the pin went out, not while pushing or dragging wet heavy snow.
  11. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Thats nasty, I have no idea how that could happen in normal working, To do that damage, has to be a little more then average work. Even if the center pin had bad metal and failed, or just broke from an impact, I would think you would notice, before it broke the cylinder. Maybe as said before caught something back dragging? to me that would rip the cylinder then the center pin.

What size is the plow and truck? I see the stops on it, standard for 9.5 foot, unless you put them on the 7.5 or 8.5.
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2007
  12. chaseatg

chaseatg Member

Hey guys take a close look at the photo of the blade half in the truck, especially the cutting edge. It look to me as if this guy likes to ride curbs, most likely the tall granite types that like to reach out and grab you when you are going faster than you should, after all he does have a HEMI.
  13. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Side of edge has warn alot against something
  14. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

How about you flip the wing over and take a pic and post it. Would that be possible?

Edge of plows wear all the time when riding curbs, that's why the mfg's are making curb guards. About time, since we started making our own about 15 years ago because of wearing the edges to nothing in a year or less.
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2007
  15. chaseatg

chaseatg Member

Take a real good look at the photo of the wing in the back of his truck, the X braceing looks to be bent. BUT THIS DRIVER DID NOT HIT ANYTHING.
  16. Robber80

Robber80 Member
    from Vermont

i'm not really seeing it, where is it bent?
  17. Flipper

from CT

Look at the top edge of the moldboard in front of the marker. It is bent in and looks a bit rusted as well.
  18. chaseatg

chaseatg Member

If you look real close at the first X brace you can see it is bent, also the top edge of the moldboard looks to be bent. It still appears to me that this plow has been abused. The center pin on the Extreme V is one beefy pin. Can you imagine how much force it took to break that pin?
  19. Flipper

from CT

Unless it was faulty which could have been BUT then use should have stopped. All that failure COULD not have happened at once.

I saw one and I am trying to find the picture go halfway through a midsize car in an accident and it was still useable.
  20. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

A good reason why we all should do a quick visual as we hook up our plows or once a week whatever you prefer to find any issues and fix them as soon as possible before they become worse costing you money.