1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher EZ-V 8'6"

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Moss Man, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Moss Man

Moss Man Senior Member
    from Maine

I just mounted the straight blade a week ago and then stumbled onto this ad;

http://maine.craigslist.org/pts/2676970082.html

What questions should I ask and what should I be looking for if I go take a look at it? I have been pining for the Xtreme V, but there aren't any used ones out there for sale and this one looks like a decent deal.

I have emailed the owner to see if any of the on truck parts are included, haven't heard back yet.

2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Not much to talk about really. You could ask him about fluid changes and what not....but they usually lie anyway.

Hook it up, and check out it's operations, look for any slow operations, and kinks in its movements. Inspect the fluid yourself to see if it's been recently changed. Check for egged out pin holes. Also look for even spacing at the center, when the plow is in full scoop, and full v modes (bent center pin). Chaffing lines are also common....things you can use to lower the price.

You'll need to change your control harness on your truck in order to make it all work, but everything else will plug right in.

3. Moss Man

Moss Man Senior Member
    from Maine

He returned my email, it's just the off truck portion.

I'll probably take a ride down to Sanford and check it out.

4. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Loooks prety good. Better plow then an extreme v anyway. Just not as fast.

5. That looks fairly decent, it's a MM2 and fairly new since it has the Intensifier headlights. It has the tell tale sign of being a Lang's Corner Garage unit due to the silver lift triangle that normally goes with the stainless plow setups. They let a few of those out about 3 years ago. They pre-assemble the units they install and put them out side in a staging area. When you buy a plow, they wire your truck, install the pushplates and then you drive over to pick up a plow in the staging area and off you go!! VERY efficient operation.

Anyway, I got my used EZV last year and completely tore it down to be sure that everything was the way I wanted it. It is an awesome plow, you won't be disappointed.
    He might not move much on price since we just got all this October snow. Good luck.

As you probably know, you'll be facing the cost of a new controller and 7 pin wiring harness at a minimum.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  6. Moss Man

Moss Man Senior Member
    from Maine

It came off from a F350 and was bought in 2004. I emailed the fella and hope to get an appointment to see it.

Morrison and Sylvester in Auburn quoted me $1,000. for the harnesses and EZ V Fishstick and that doesn't include a module if I need one. I won't be going that route, the deal on the plow isn't that good.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  7. FWIW, there are members here on the site that could get it much cheaper than that for you. If its a 3 plug setup and you have a 4port iso mod on your GMC now, all you will need is the 7 pin control harness ($325 new) and a controller. ($$$???)

8. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Yeah exactly, the controllers can be bought on ebay much cheaper.

9. Moss Man

Moss Man Senior Member
    from Maine

He emailed back and said he has the hand controller, I might still take a look at it. It's an hour and a half drive each way.

10. RepoMan207

from Maine

That's worth what he is asking. I bet he is willing to go $2500 though. If the controller is included....it's a no brainer in my book.

The control harness (26346) can be had on ebay for around $250 - $285 when they're on there. Otherwise, you can get it at Messer for $300 even. Lang's lists for $315, but they might match Messer and ship it to your door for you. You'd have to call to make sure.

FYI, you can always sell your plow to make up for the loss....I see them going for $2500 all day long on CL & Ebay (obviously condition dependent.)

11. Moss Man

Moss Man Senior Member
    from Maine

I think the seller has reservations about Craigslist, I have tossed my phone number out there numerous times and haven't recieved a call. The ad doesn't have the phone number and he hasn't offered it, so the deal is snail slow right now. If I do grab this, I'll be marketing my straight blade as soon as I switch over the harnesses and have the straight blade parts all in one pile to go with the plow. It doesn't look like it's going to be nearly as expensive as I thought, especially if I get the controller with the plow.

I need to do some archive searching here to see the disadvantages and advantages between the EZ-V and the Xtreme V.

12. Again, FWIW Mossman, in my opinion you will be happier with the EZV.

13. RepoMan207

from Maine

For the $$ factor alone, I would jump on this.

My biggest complaint with CL is that everyone seems to be tire kickers. I emailed the guy, if he calls me back I'll forward you the info on here.

14. Moss Man

Moss Man Senior Member
    from Maine

Thanx Ryan. I just wanted to get all my ducks in a row before I jumped in with both feet. I'm at least ready to look at it and make an offer if it is clean and isn't all worn out.

15. RepoMan207

from Maine

Exactly. Are you comming to the meet in Auburn next Saturday?

16. Moss Man

Moss Man Senior Member
    from Maine

Why yes, I wouldn't want to miss one so close to me. I need to hop over to the Maine thread and see where and when.

17. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Just an FYI,
    The EZV is a better built plow but is just slower than an Extreme V. Also the center flap can tear easily but you can use the Extreme V cutting edge with some minor modifications to the cutting edge. In reality though, its just the speed of the hydraulics that makes the EZV the lesser of the two.

Oh yeah, it won't stack as high and I don't think it can close or Vee the wings as tightly as the Extreme V either.

18. Moss Man

Moss Man Senior Member
    from Maine

Here's the deal, I am headed to see it tomorrow. If I can make a deal, can I plug it in with the controls that I now have and at least lift it for transportaion home? I know have the Straight blade MM2 3-wire with the 4-port isolation module.

19. RepoMan207

from Maine

Look at your control harness plug in (truckside at the grill)....does it have 3 pins, or 7?

If it's 3, your lights will work, but not your control won't. You'll need to bring along a jack to jack it up, then short chain it using the chain lock on the Lift Arm.

If you do have the 7 pin, then you have an adapter in the cab, just disconnect your control, and your adapter, and plug your new control in.

If you only have the 3 pin, once you upgrade your control harness, you can run your straight blade with it as well, with just the addition of an adapter.

20. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

You can mount it to your push plates, jack it up and chain it for the ride, you will have no controls until you get the correct control harness. You'll have no problem selling your straight blade control harness, you could keep your six pin controller and buy a $50 adapter that will allow you to run a straight blade if needed on the v plow control harness.