1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher Extreme V plows

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by afalk, Feb 18, 2008.

1. afalk

afalk Junior Member

Has anyone had any issues with cutting edges wearing down faster than normal. We are already into our second set. Our shoes have only been on for a month and a half and are already gone. Any suggestions?

2. abbert55

abbert55 Senior Member

3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Do a search for Extreme V's and you'll see my rant!!!!! Mine wore down almost an inch after only6 hrs or so of plowing. That was last year and they have since corrected my problem and came out with a new cutting edge.

4. afalk

afalk Junior Member

Brian did you go from the 2 piece cutting edge to the single. If so have you noticed any uneven wear.

5. M&M

M&M Senior Member

Does anyone have experience with this product?

check this site out and look at the extendor Jr. edges

www.winterequipment.com

6. DJMAUCTION

DJMAUCTION Member

this is funny, I just posted about the fact fisher had soft steel on cutting edges for the v plow. they now have a 4 piece unit and stronger steel, mine wore down in half a season, I have the new edge on and it last 1.5 seasons and its still good enough for another season and maybe more, call your regional and also, do you have the 4 piece or just 2 on the v plow

7. M&M

M&M Senior Member

I have the 4 piece. I haven't pushed a flake with the plow yet but saw this old thread and wondered if it was worth it. I have read about the 2 piece having problems and it sounds like they fixed the issue. 1.5 seasons sounds pretty good. How many storms do you have? How many hours do you plow per storm? Resi or commercial? Just getting a feel for what your 1.5 seasons consists of so I can compare my route. Thanks in advance.

8. DJMAUCTION

DJMAUCTION Member

80 percent comm 20 resi. 40-50 events, I would say anywhere from 600-700 hours maybe, a few long runs, one horrible with stones, mostly smooth pavement.

9. M&M

M&M Senior Member

That is good to hear. I think I just saved $300 a year with your response.

10. PLOW_GUY

PLOW_GUY Junior Member

The original cutting edges were a total of two peices. The warranty replacements were a total of four peices but if it was an 8 1/2 the edge was 3/8 thick. when it's time to replace the edge see your local distributor and ask for the 1/2 inch thick. If your doing lots of long runs over and over( like parking lots). i would suggest a set of the new shoes part # 50700. they are a square shoe and if ajusted right you should get as clean a pass with them as you dowithout.

11. sam c

sam c Member

Hey M&M, I just saw your post, You've probably moved ahead by now, but here's my input anyway. I had a 9' MM that the edges would "smile" so quikly that I could not get one season out of an edge. (residential and commercial use, no roads) I put a set of the guards on and did not change an edge for three seasons! Put them on with a new edge and you'll not be disapointed!

12. M&M

M&M Senior Member

sam, I totally forgot about the guards and have 3 storms under my belt with the new plow and 45 resi accounts. There is no visible wear but I am going to look into the guards this week. Thanks for the input.