1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher extreme- v cutting edge broken

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by billy2455, Feb 25, 2011.

1. billy2455

billy2455 Junior Member

2 nd time I used my new 8-6 ss xtreme v and the cutting edge broke off near the middle. Took off the corner a triangle about 3" by 3". Anyone had any luck getting fisher to warranty this. The plow is 20 days old. Should I replace with the 3/8" blades it came with or get the 1/2" optional set or is there anything else that might last longer?

2. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

That sucks, hopefully Fisher will warrantee it. I plow some rough terrain, gravel roads and haven't had that issue. I did "tweak" one of the inner pieces where it bends but it didn't break.

3. Chevy 2500 hd

Chevy 2500 hd Member

I did the same was my second time out with it. They told me I hit something my dealer only charged me 20 bucks but still. never heard it trip and the road is maybe 3 or 4 yrs old so no holes

4. Chevy 2500 hd

Chevy 2500 hd Member

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/photo.php?fbid=1562181694082&set=a.1301677901650.2041136.1221510050&theater

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  5. senob1

senob1 Junior Member
    from NH

I replaced mine with 5/8 carbide 4 or 5 years ago and will do it again this year, before I switched I would change them every year if not twice a year

6. billy2455

billy2455 Junior Member

where did you buy them at i'm trying to find the 5/8 carbide and can't find anyone who sells them. please let me know. Thanks

7. senob1

senob1 Junior Member
    from NH

Bought them I limerick ME can't remember the name of the place but have to go there this week I'll post then ( I'll ask if they have an on line site).

8. billy2455

billy2455 Junior Member

A phone number would be great. Thanks I appreciate the info

9. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Hey thats weird 20 hrs ???........................... Sorry your having problems. I think Fisher will take care of that one . There is a guy on here from down in Missouri that claims he went thru TWO sets of cutting edges in 32 hrs of plowing . That was just TWO storms at 16hrs each. [Pretty sure thats a world record] I have a good friend that bought a new XV 8.5 the first year they came out 2006/07 and I looked it over at the beginning of the year and it is still less than half wore out. He plows his parking lot and camp roads with it and it has seen a LOT of use but it is all on dirt roads and not scraping asphalt.
    I attemped to question the fella about how he could possibly wear out a cutting edge in 32 hrs and another dude jumped right in here and said that he had a similar problem so I can only guess that they plow only asphalt without shoes and just leave the plow down when they go from one location to another ................... "sparks flying" all the way as I cant imagine anyone wearing out a set of cutting edges in TWO storms????? But then again I see people plowing on Youtube all the time and the snow is about 3" deep and they say they are plowing 12-18" of snow??? Then claim they could only do it with a HD 3/4 TON truck but the snow is so light it is flying up into the windshield so bad they have to run their wipers on HIGH to make the movie[ you could easily plow it with a two wheel drive ATV] and they tell about how HEAVY it was ??? One guy has a picture of some snow in his yard out in Indiana and calls it 4-5 feet from a Blizzard they got back in January and in the picture the snow is exactly half way up the tires; of a half ton pickup; or approximately 15" of snow?????? There is some real eye openers out there in cyberspace!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  10. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

The only way I could see wearing a cutting edge out that fast is if you were plowing roads. Even then I would think they would last longer than that.

11. billy2455

billy2455 Junior Member

fisher said no it was normal break. I'll take that at what its worth. Looking for 5/8 cutting edge or possibly double up cutting edge

12. captadamnj

captadamnj Senior Member

Within first few hours of use of my 8-5 MVP Plus with 3/8" edge I had already rounded the corners on my edge. Believed some of the stories I had heard about the edges on the DD V's. Rather than get new edges and increase the edge size, invested in a pair of Winter's plow guard Jrs. with the carbide. $150 delivered to my door. Have used the plow another 15 hours since installing and edge is now holding up fine.

13. billy2455

billy2455 Junior Member

I wish I was having wear problems but I didn't use it enough to wear them. I used it less than 2 hours and the corner broke off.

14. stargazer

stargazer Member

I don't believe you hit anything. I had a similar experience. What really happened in my case was that the inner two pieces that are bent to fill in the V gap hit each other as the plow went from scoop to V position. The force of the hydraulics did the damage.

The cure is as soon as you get new edges, have a welder trim off a narrow upside down V in between where the bent center sections can touch. One cut on each center section. Leave the slight gap so they can't touch.

You should also check your main pivot pin between the wings, in my case the pin was slightly bent and then it "worked" (flexed) constantly until metal fatigue caused the pin to fail. That twisted the plow and broke one wing. Now I pull the pins occasionally, check them for straightness, and grease them. I even had a grease fitting installed on one plow, a friend has three fittings, one for each hinge section. Keep a spare pin on hand, only about $17.

Still way better than the center rubber wiper set up on the ezV's

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  15. jday53

jday53 Junior Member

S.A McLean's in limerick. I just bought a set today for my 8'6" xv2

16. stargazer

stargazer Member

cutting edges, McLeans

I just got a new 8'6" XV2. How much were the cutting edges, and how thick? Bolts included or extra? I'm just curious, don't expect to need any this winter since I just started using the plow. I bought a sander at McLean's once and liked them.

Thank you.