1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher Extreme Blade not so "Extreme"

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Brian Young, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Well went to put on some new back drag edges, got them on just fine, well "lookie there" the back drag edges are sitting about 1/4-1/2 inches lower than the trip edge :confused: Well called the dealer and got the typical response "bring it in" so I did, he compared the cutting edge to a new one and got measurements ranging from 3/8-3/4 of an inch wear! WTF!!!!! This plow has less than 8hrs of plowing nothing but smaller concrete and black top parking lots oh, and 3 driveways. He called Fisher "Tech Support" and he asked a few "technical" questions and the guy didn't know the answers :confused: But all he could tell my dealer is ""well we don't warranty wearable items"' I find it very, very hard to beleive a plow with 8hrs (if that) can wear down the cutting edge almost an inch! I hope the rep from Fisher that monitors this forum sees this as well, If they won't warranty this POS cutting edge, this will be the 1st and LASTFisher I will buy. Other fellow Extreme V owners watch out for the cutting edge that melts like butter!:realmad:

2. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Those heavy plows just eat edges. I have seen it on all Vs and on the Blizzards as well as the Fisher MC series.

3. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

That doesnt seem right at all.....hopefully Fisher does something about it!

4. starc

starc Senior Member

I'd be pissed, at the rate that's wearing he'll be changing the cutter 2 or 3 times this winter. That's just not right... Not sure if there hardened steel but, my old meyers came with a hardened edge and it's been on there for 4 years now with a total wear of maybe 1/2 inch or so. The plow gets plenty of use plowing large condo complexes.

5. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

bad metal in the cutting edge?
    Maybe the 3 hole adjustment on the blade is not in a great place, causing a angle that is digging in to much?

Not trying to find reason to say fisher is great product, just throwing out ideas.
    We've yet to plow with the 8.5 extremeV, so can't say what the wear is yet after a storm. but if thats the case I know we won't be pleased.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2006
  6. Brian Young

I'm not gonna be too pleased either if they won't help me out! I don't feel I should be puting $384.00 into a new cutting edge, if I want to put on attatchments.

7. Flipper

from CT

Last year we changed my MC plow edge every storm. It plows mainly roads in front of a F550. This year I am a U edge. I had the same problem with my V and switched to carbides with good success.

The 7ft Fisher Plow on my Toyota used for driveways at slower speeds has run the same edge for 5 years now.

8. ADMSWELDING

ADMSWELDING Senior Member

Those heavier plows also need a 5/8" thick edge they will chew a 1/2" edge like nothing.Also are you using a 6" or 8" tall edge?I was told with the heavy plows run a 8".

9. Brian Young

He asked me if I plow any larger parking lots where I could plow at 20-30mph and wear it right down. The fastest I can plow at any of my lots is, at best, 10mph. Again very, very tight places.

10. Brian Young

Its a 6" edge and its only 3/8 thick (OEM). He said all he replaces them with is a 1/2 thick ones and they will wear "ten times over the 3/8 thick ones". They do make one hell of a "shoe/curb protector" they weigh about 20lbs each. He said if I got those, the cutting edge would last for years over just a new edge, but the problem I have is I don't feel like spending another $600.00 in parts. I dont know if they would be that much of a difference (the shoes).

11. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

You need to find the 8 inch 5/8 edge. YOU LIVE IN PA. I would think you have plenty of steel places around so finding an edge won't be tough. Although the v blade is a rare bird so they may not be that common. But OEM fisher stuff blows and wears out fast.

12. ADMSWELDING

ADMSWELDING Senior Member

I replaced a fisher v blade edge today for a customer was not ss but i had a problem getinng the second edge bolts to tighten up i did check the first pc to make sure i had the smaller of the sq. holes facing forward so the bolts would grab.Well the second pc only can go on one way and the larger holes where forward.The bolts would not grab kept free spinning so i cut some mechanics wire and put a few pieces in the sq hole with the bolts then they grabbed. anyone else seen this on these v blades. Sorry about hi-jacken the thread.:eek:

13. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

The 9.5 X-V has 1/2" X 6 edges and the 8.5 3/8" X 6, so if you buy replacement edges buy the 9.5 edges and blow new holes where needed. I've run an EZ-V since 98, and V's are 2 or 3 times harder on edges then a straight blade. I went to Carbides for it, last 3 seasons, but cost $1000payup. On the 9.5 X-V my 1st set of edges lasted about 45 hours of plowing, almost all commercial lots. I'm going to carbides for it, but, because of the new bent edge design for the center section, there's a lot of extra fab work to make carbides fit.
    We usually average 250-300 hours /season, so a $1000 for a set of edges that last 15 times as long are a bargin.

Bill
    PS DO NOT GO TO 8" edges on the V 6" to 8" is a about a 35% increase on the force on the trip springs etc, you will bend something. The carbides are 5/8" X 6"

14. Flipper

from CT

As Bill said do not run 8" edges, it will just increase the leverage on the springs and most likely bend the upper perches.

15. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Bill and Brian, We've got carbide addon's for the cutting edges that make a world of difference on the plow edge wear. You can do just the tips or the whole edge. With the new V's, Boss, West and Fisher you put the stock edges on to get the inner pieces to help with the V plow center trail off and then bolt these addon's to them. 3' and 4' pieces avail for the main edge and 8" curber pieces that run up the end too.

Jerre

16. Brian Young

Jerre, I'm gonna wait to see what they have to say and the IF they replace them, I am still coming out to see you today!!!!!!! By the way the guy I sent out to you, (05 Dodge diesel) LOVES his Blizzard. If I didnt need this V, (because of the tiny, tiny places I have to scoop and stack I would have gotton the sweet speed wing! I'll talk to ya soon. P.S. I sent another guy out there to take a look-see, I havent talked to him to see if he went out there yet. He has a F-150 I told him one of your's would be a great plow for it. Sorry again for the last minute switch up, there were a lot of things that happend in a few short hours.

17. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Brian, Understandable. I know you guys had alot of varied accounts coming up and alot hinged on them. Thanks for the referalls. You know you'll get taken care of when you need it. Jerre

P.S. Get that list on the vehicles yet??

P.P.S. Still need to stop and get that fluid film I've got here for you.

18. Brian Young

Hey Jerre, no new list as of yet, they come out usually every few months. If you have time today, (its snowing like hell right now) call me at 898-1641 ext 274 to see if you can hook me up with a thick arss cutting edge! From the center to about the middle of each wing the blade seemms to be ok but its from the center of each wing to the outter most cutting edge is where I have the problem. Can you still "cover" the cutting edge w/ something thicker or is the original cutting edge worn out too much? Thanks!

19. Brian Young

Mark from Fisher, can ya help me out with this situation? I called the dealer back at 10am today (12-7-06) and he didn't hear anything back yet. At this rate I'll need a new cutting edge by the end of this storm:realmad:

20. Brian Young

Update for the cutting edge situation, for those who care. And apparently there are a few higher ups that do. First and for most!- there is nothing in my original post (complaint) that is not a fact, second, I would not intentionally talk about a product in a derogatory or negative way to try and better my situation, as I am in business also and would not like that done to us if not warranted. 10am, called my dealer and no return call from Fisher as of yet. 1pm still no return call from Fisher, well I took it upon myself to call and ask some questions, after all this is MY plow. I got in contact with a guy who in my opinion was rude and seemed not to care one bit about my problem, he seemed to have an attitude of what do you want me to do about it. After going back and forth with him, I gave him an analogy of "to me this is like buying a brand new car and finding out the front brake pads are worn down to nothing after 1k miles of use" his response kinda through me back, it was "yeah" like yeah so what. Now I'm pissed, so I called the dealer back and things started to heat up. We go round and round on the phone, I was pissed, things were said, and it wasn't too pretty. After many things were said and done the dealer calls me back and says to bring in my truck and they will replace the cutting edge and install the curb/shoe (probably to make sure I dont come back in another 8hrs and complain about the same thing). Everything was installed but now the curb/shoe kit is basically doing the same thing the back drag edges were doing,(preventing the cutting edge to lower all the way) there is about 1/4" gap. They said they would try an adjust them but I said forget it, I'll do it myself. All-in all Fisher did replace the cutting edge but in my opinion, if I wasn't the "squeaky wheel who got the grease" I think this matter would have been brush off as "normal wear". Thank you for replacing them but honestly, the way this situation was handled makes me uneasy about buying or recommending a Fisher to any one.