1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher electronic control problem

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by boba, Dec 11, 2001.

1. boba

boba Senior Member

Purchased a fisher 1.8 yd sander with the 8hp B&S engine. Unit has the electronic control with the choke indicator light. Dealer can not get the electric working correctly. Choke indicator light always on. When you move the control to fast the engine slows down and vice versa. HELP!!!

Called Fisher myself. Found out they stopped putting the 8hp B&S engine on their units 3 seasons ago. (I purchased this unit at the end of last year but just had it installed). Never told it was then 2 seasons old.

2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

If the throttle is working backwords then it sounds like the wires to the throttle motor are likely backwards somewhere in the system. This may fix the choke light as well. Otherwise I would look for a bad ground or a wire going to ground that should not be. You can download the control diagram from fishers website.

3. General Grounds

General Grounds Member

:confused: i would check all grounding points to start, if the unit is not grounded this could cause all sorts of elec. problems, second, i would try to figure out the wiring dia. and make sure it was wiried correctly, if all fails try a new control unit. T

4. General Grounds

General Grounds Member

:eek: did'nt see Mr. firemans reply but seems like were both on the same tract, goood going fireman. TTT:)

5. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Incidently the type of motor is rather insignificant. All have basically the same electrical needs:

Positive source for starter from battery
    Positive to switch starter solenoid
    Ground
    Throttle Motor + & -
    Clutch Positive feed
    Positive battery charge coming off the motor
    Wire that grounds the coil to cut engine

You will find these on all small engine powered spreaders.

The throttle control is just a small motor that by reversing the polarity changes the direction and thus the engine speed.

6. #1 plowtech

#1 plowtech Senior Member

i agree w/ ct's last post. on the electric throttle control you have 2 wires,try switching them to correct the throttle problem. as far as the choke indicator light, there is a micro switch with a small lever attached and 2 wires going to micro-switch. a) if light stays on all the time you may have a bad switch, b)you have a problem w/wiring keeping th light on, (no duh). if switching the throttle wires cures your problem, the light for the choke is merely an indicator light and thats it. im sure we all now if the motor is staying choked or not. best of luck to you, #1 pt.

7. boba

boba Senior Member

Thanks for everyones comments. Turned out to be wrong wiring harness. Didn't have the leads for the micros switch!

8. #1 plowtech

#1 plowtech Senior Member

Thanks for letting us know, it helps all of us on the next job!! pt.

9. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Glad it worked out. May be needing to use it pretty soon.