1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

fisher electric clutch head live hydro pump problem noise under rpm load

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by sweetk30, Nov 15, 2011.

1. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

its not often i ask for yelp but i got a problem.

i got a electric clutch head live hydro pump on my old speedcaster and the pump was brand new n.o.s. unit . its orignaly for the early mm1 stuff but i was tired of poping the hood and pulling the bolt for the pumpmate pully on the old pump . so i swaped this on in its place.

well all went just fine and worked 100% and blead out real easy . then the other day i hear this crazy nasty noise from under the hood. i pop the hood to find the electric coil body spinning around with the pulley and the wires sheered off. so basicly the n.o.s pump has a dead clutch pulley now and i cant use it at this point. and i did NOT have the power on to the clutch when driving around with no plow on.

i called local dealer thay said no go on there end for new clutch head unit to put on this .

i need to fix this soon and be ready to go. anyone know were i could get some parts for this be it fisher or aftermarket ?

here is the fisher pdf file and its page 3 plow pump 8836 and part #3 8842 is there # on the unit i need. http://library.fisherplows.com/fisherplows/pdf/6460_071995.pdf

thanks guys for any help at this point . Thumbs Up
  2. sweetk30

any help here ? :help:
  3. LON

LON Senior Member

While I've got electric clutches on the shelf I don't think they'll work with your shaft. It appears that that is a straight shaft and all of mine are tapered. If I had O.D. of the clutch, shaft & key size I may be able to find you a clutch.
  4. sweetk30

gona try and check stuff today on the pump. will post more info and pics soon thanks.
  5. sweetk30

well took it all apart today . found 1/2" shaft non tapered with keyway on shaft.

after pulling it all apart slow and steady i see were it was messed up right from the factory .

i found the snapring for the coil body to the coil body shaft housing was not on correctly and this let the snap ring come off and jamb up in to the bearing for the pulley section . that inturn let the coil body come off the index on the coil body housing and flop around and snap the index pin off and let the coil go spinning around with the pulley and snap off the wires. this also started to chew up the coil housing body surface area also .

otherwise it all looks good. if i could fix the coil body wires and take some 800-1000 grit sand paper and smoth up the coil housing body shaft and get a new snap ring and index pin i might be able to possibly save this thing.

but as i said here is pics of the damage .

as you can seethis setup is just like new and only paint worn off whas from grinding as it self destructed.

pic 1 and 2 normal

pic 3-4-5 show some damage. pic 4 shows some of the coil housing body marks from spinning coil on it. and pic 5 is the snap ring after it was all messed up ground up a bit and chewed on by some parts.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  6. sweetk30

well the guys at fisher got back to me on the pm i sent them and checked in there old lab / testing / r-d area and found some new old stock left overs. thay are going to send me some stuff and hopfully get me plowin again soon.

big Thumbs Up to fisher . :salute:

will post up on my fix as soon as i get parts and get going again.
  7. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Awesome, Great news!

8. sweetk30

well the boys up in rockland main hooked me up . Thumbs Up

so here is my new replacement parts for my new 15 year old pump :dizzy:

these will be assemebled with care and i will modify the index pin and make it a screw with locktight RED and mabye even weld the end of it in also so it cant back out this time.

thanks to the guys at fisher :salute:Thumbs Up

9. sweetk30

got around to modifying and installing the new parts for the clutch pump unit today.

took the stock mounting adaptor ( pic 1 ) and drilled the roll pin hole out all the way threw ( pic 2 ) so i could then tap it to 1/4-20 thread. then i used some red locktight and put the grd 5 bolt in place nice and tight ( pic 3 ) also i cut off the extra flush on the back side ( pic 4 ) and then cut the front off to make it a index pin to go in the hole of the coil body ( pic 5 ) .

this was all just for the adaptor modification to remove the tiny little roll pin that basicly fell out of the first setup and also the replacement parts . ( must have been a bad set of hubs or pins ? )

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  10. sweetk30

then i went and opened up the hole to just a tiny bit bigger than 1/4" dia so the new pin would fit tight with no real play ( pic 1 ) then i put the coil body on the hub and tryed to install the snap ring and it would barly seat up. so i had to do a series of grind down and test fit the coil body to the hub till i got the snap ring to fit in the grove on the hub and seat . ( pic 2 ) is of the back side of the coil were i had to take off some steel to make the thickness a little less to let the ring seat in the hub groove .

now its all back together and if it ever breaks again we will have much more to replace than just this . :rolleyes:

11. sweetk30

had to move the plow today from its storage spot . hasnt been hooked since i swaped pump out. since we have only had mabye 5" total this season.

well lifts and angles fine at 800 rpm. but more than 1000-up rpm on truck motor it growls when lifting or angling. :confused: sounds to me like its bypassing to much pressure in the system . think i need to change the psi relefe setting mabye ?

anyone got any hints to check or try ?
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2012