1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher Discussion 11/3 - 11/7

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Michael J. Donovan, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

Hello Everyone!

Once again this year, one of our sponsors, Fisher Engineering, will be hosting a discussion here in the snow removal forum. The discussion will begin on Monday 11/3 and run until Friday 11/7. Be sure to read the discussion and feel free to participate. The discussions by Fisher in the past have created some great information and ideas and you can expect the same again this year.

2. Brian Simmons

Brian Simmons PlowSite.com - Sponsor

Fisher Factory Discussion

Hello All,

Once again we will be hosting a week long discussion forum to answer any question you might have. This is also a good opportunist to let us know what you would like to see Fisher offer on future products. With winter just around the corner, many of you are getting ready for what will hopefully be a very snowy and profitable plowing season. When pulling out your plowing equipment for the beginning of the season it tends to drum up questions or suggestions and I will try and answer the question in the order that they are received.

Thanks,
    Brian Simmons
    Fisher Engineering

3. nickv13412

nickv13412 Senior Member

Brian -

Thanks for taking the time to do this discussion. I am wondering if Fisher is planning on making a set of wings for the X-Blade, similar to the ones that you make for the XTreme V? I know there are a lot of guys running X-Blades including myself, and itd be nice to be able to buy a set of OEM wings for the plow. Thanks again - Nick

4. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Can the ExtremeV be ordered without hydraulics (Hydraulic Delete)?

Also are there any plans to return to making a light commercial duty plow (trip edge would be nice) for smaller trucks to compete with the Meyer Drive Pro which carries a commercial use designation and warranty?

Of course, and I say it every year, I would really like to see universal belt drive packages offered by Fisher Electric clutch pump, electric solenoid underhood valves, resevoir and hoses. Brackets would be fabbed by installer.

Finally and I mentioned this a couple years ago how about making replacable clear acrylic windows in the front panel of spreaders? This way you could look out your back window and have an idea of how much material you have left.

5. Brian Simmons

Nickv13412,

Currently there is nothing in the works for this model blade. I know there have been a few requests in the past and we really should look to see if there is any possibility. The XtremeV was designed to accommodate wings from the start whereas the X-blade was not. Your comment will be forwarded to the Product Manager for consideration. Thanks for the opening comment.

Brian Simmons

6. nickv13412

nickv13412 Senior Member

Ok thanks Brian, I know the blades are a bit different, but if all it takes is a little bit of modification to your XTreme V wings, I'm sure thered be plenty of guys who would buy them from Fisher rather than using pro wings and having to drill the moldboard and brace behind the hole...I know i dont wanna touch my stainless with a drill :) Thanks again Brian and please let us know if there is any news - Nick

7. Brian Simmons

Flipper,

Currently the plow cannot be ordered without Hydraulics, we have had no demand. With Straight blades it's an easy install but not with V-plows. Most users stay away from v-plows and central Hyd. as the system is much more complicated. In the three years we have been selling the XtremeV, this is only the second request for such a setup. If you wanted the unit without Hyd. you could work with the dealer to order everything but the Hyd. unit and go from there.

As for the underhood Hydraulic setups, like we stated last year the trucks change way to often and most trucks don't have enough room (2008 Ford diesel - hard enough trying to find a place to mount the relay). If you really wanted to install this type of system we still sell all of the major components (pump, valve, cables) and you could fab all of the required brackets. If you would like I can send you a complete list of all the part numbers that would be packed in a "universal kit". I completely agree it would be great to be able to still use underhood setups.

I agree that a "see thru" window would be a good idea , but would be more cost effective as a enduser upgrade. I will forward your request to the marketing dept.

thanks for the comments.

8. Brian Simmons

Nick,
    There would need to be modifications to both the wing and the plow. There is a 5° attack angle difference and the way it mounts to the top of the spring anchor would need modified. I will make sure I forward your comments to the Product Manager.

thanks,

9. GPS

GPS Senior Member
    from MA

I'll second the request for factory wings for the X blade. That would be a big seller, in my opinion.

10. Brian Simmons

One advantage of our multiplexing systems on our PolyCaster lineup is that fact that it can sense amp draw. There is an LED light that will flash a series of codes and one such code is "Hopper Empty or material bridged". Although it will not let you know when the hopper is getting low it will let you know when your empty or nearly empty.

11. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Brian - Last year Gary did the Q&A with everyone here. Where's he at this year?

Secondly, is Fisher going to have any products at the SEMA show in Vegas this week? I'm going to be there by the end of the day and I'd love to chat with some of your representatives.

Lastly, who's Dean?

Thanks!

12. Brian Simmons

Gary is no longer with the company. We used to split the responsibility with one covering each site. Now I will be covering both sites.

No we are not going to have any products at the SEMA show. We do Sponsor the other SIMA though.

Well since I never made any references about a Dean, you must be referring to Dean Fisher - the founder of Fisher plows. He designed the first ever trip edge plow 65 years ago.

13. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Thank you for having this forum I think Fisher makes the best plows out there. I have 2 questions.

1. Why did you change to electrical hydrolic? The old hydrolic plows had alot more power.

2. My dad wants to take a quik switch plow off a 1985 Ford Ranger and put it on his 2000 Ford Ranger , what modifications will he have to make to to plow? He just wants to leave the frame on all year. So will he have to put new push plates on it or anything?

14. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

I just had a brand new 7'6" HD straight blade installed on my truck. This is after a short stint with a Diamond (although I started with a Speedcaster a few years back). I do like the Fisher and I'm glad to be back. My only gripe would be the location of the mounting holes for the cutting edge. The Diamond that I had, the mounting holes were centered on the cutting edge so you could essentially get two edges from one piece of steel. Why doesn't Fisher subscribe to this method?

15. 3bladz

3bladz Senior Member

Are you planning anything for skid steers? Like the xls?

16. Captain

Captain Senior Member

I recently had a Homesteader plow installed. When trying to remove the spring loaded pins the passenger side slides out good everytime. The drivers side however is bound tight and I have to actually jack up the plow almost 1/2" to get the pin to move freely. Is this normal??? I bought the plow for the ease of being able to put it on and off.

17. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

Brian

where are you the rest of the year? Im sure you have heard this before, but having other dealers on this site year round and you showing up a week a year is a little discouraging.
    I actually had to recommend a snoway this past week out of distraught that we have no fisher representation here 99% of the time:realmad:. If i have to stay here and reco fishers by myself you could at least send me a paycheck. It wouldnt be a bad thing for one of you to stop in occasionally just to go through the fisher thread and offer advice.

Keep up the good work over there and if there are any interesting developments in the works i wouldnt mind some info in a pm.

thanks

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  18. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Are you pushing up while your trying to pull out the second pin? With the first pin out, all the weight is riding on that second pin, so you do have to push a bit and then pull the pin to get it out....on a new plow especially, the paint and powder coat make everything fit nice and tight, so with some use, that should help things become easier as well.

19. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i dont have a fisher....

but ill say the support of a few snow way guys on this site, makes me highly reconsider the plows i use

20. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i have two top questions... keep in mind im a western guy , but close enought

1. with the high cost of deicer this year, is there going to be any consideration , or testing/devlopement regaurding how well the plow scrapes and cleans. Snow way has a down pressure system, im sure they have it patented pretty well, but any simpliar things? or playing with the angle of attact on the cutting edge.. minimizing salt costs is going to be a key for years to come -

2. the new talk around here , has been liquids.... any thoughts on a liquid system , or possibly , a pre wet system , ?