1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher Discussion 10/24-10/28

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Sean Adams, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Sean Adams

Sean Adams Member

Hello Everyone!

Once again this year, one of our sponsors, Fisher Engineering, will be hosting a discussion here in the snow removal forum. The discussion will begin on Monday 10/24 and run until Friday 10/28. Be sure to read the discussion and feel free to participate. The discussions by Fisher in the past have created some great information and ideas and you can expect the same again this year.

2. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

That sounds great! Are you going to have a Boss discussion?

3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

What is that?? I am almost sure that fisher is the plow that i want to get next year for my truck when i get my lisense so i really want to get some insight on what this discussion thing is and what to do to participate. Thanks

4. KenG

KenG Senior Member
    from MA

A representative from Fisher Engineering will be on the website, and you'll be able to ask questions and get lots of good info.

This should be a link to last year's Fisher discussion. http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=19618

5. Gary Dwinal

Gary Dwinal Senior Member

Hi mcwlandscaping,
    Looks like you already have quite an impressive fleet of equipment for your business. We certainly hope you do add a brand new Fisher Snowplow to your fleet and maybe one of our salt or sand spreaders as well. If you visit one of our distributors in your area, I am sure they can show you all of the different models of snowplows we offer and they may also make a recommendation as to which snowplow may work best for both your vehicle and the plowing conditions you will be encountering. Please visit our web site to find the Fisher distributors located in your area. www.fisherplows.com

Thanks,
    Gary Dwinal
    Product Manager
    Fisher Engineering

6. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Fisher,

I am considering purchasing a new F-550. I have always used the M/C series on them in the past but would like to try a "V" type plow but am afraid that they are too fragile for the F-550's we run with sanders. Any thoughts? Any plans to offer a beefier "V" or an "X-V"???

7. Gary Dwinal

Hi Big Dog,
    This is a tough one and could go either way. Because you specifically mention loaded hopper spreaders, I guess my recommendation would be to stay with what has worked for you in the past on your other F550 trucks. In your application, the MC blades will probably be best. The momentum of the heavy F550 truck along with the added weight of a loaded hopper spreader can create a tremendous impact if a solid object is encountered and the straight blade will most always be more able to absorb this type of impact than any V-plow. I think this would be true no matter what brand of V-plow vs. straight plow this type of comparison is made upon.

As for the beefier "V" or the "X-V" you ask about, I will just say in part those types of inquiries are exactly the type of feedback we are looking for from our participation in this forum. If you or anyone else reading this forum has any additional "wish lists" or ideas for new products or product improvements, please post them on this forum.

Thank You

8. sam973

sam973 Member

Hi Gary,

To go along with the new ideas theme, I was wondering about the head lights. I have 3 Fishers now and will be getting 2 more shortly and I find the lights to be not bright enough. Are there any plans for a better light set up in the future? If so, will it be possible to put those lights on plows that have the older style ones? I like the plows you have, but your lights are a step behind some of the others.

9. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

Hi Gary,

First i think that head lamps could be improved, and a "X" blade V plow would be nice too. Also if the hydraulic plows could be an option. I fell in love with the first one i plowed with and would definetly buy more.

10. KenG

KenG Senior Member
    from MA

Welcome back, Gary.

Thanks for taking the time once again to offer your insight and let us consumers give our opinions.

Like others have already mentioned, I'd also say the headlamps could use some improvement.

Any chance of Fisher coming out with a set of wings, like Western did? I'd be the first one in line at the dealer the day they came out.

Thanks,
    Ken

11. Gary Dwinal

Hi Sam973,
    There is no question the headlight technology being used on newer vehicles of today has surpassed the headlight technology used on most snowplows sold in today's market. About the only thing I can say on an open forum like this is, we are always working on new products and improvements to our current products and will be releasing many new and improved products over the next several years. Having said that, the only thing I can add is, keep in touch with your local Fisher distributor/dealer and monitor our web site for many new products and product improvements that will coming your way!!

Thanks.

12. Gary Dwinal

Hi mrplowdude,
    Thank you for the comments on the "X" blade V-plow and new headlamps. Unless the truck manufacturers make dramatic changes under the hoods of the trucks they are building today, I don't believe you will ever have room to install a (reasonably priced) under hood belt drive hydraulic system again. On some trucks built today our installers literally struggle to find room to mount the electrical motor relay which takes up very little real estate. Even prior to the space confinements under the hoods, the demand shifted (without influence from us) to virtually 100% electric driven hydraulic systems. The improved electric motor technology as well as dramatically improved hydraulic efficiency have really left pretty much all of the under hood hydraulic systems obsolete. Some 15+ years ago when I came to work here, you could not have forced me to put an electric/hydraulic system on my truck. Today, I feel just the opposite.

Thank You

13. Gary Dwinal

Hi Ken,
    Thanks for your kind words as well as the comments on the headlights. I would be curious to know more about your need for wings. Which series of plow would you be using them on? ie: HD - X - EZ-V - MC? Would you prefer for them to be straight out or mounted on an outward angle of say 30 to 45 degrees?

Again - feedback like this is extremely valuable to us as a manufacturer of equipment that most of you folks use on a commercial basis.

Thank You

14. Gary Dwinal

Curb Guards / Curb Shoes

How many of you guys have ever heard about or seen curb guards on snowplows? They are used to protect the outer edges of the plows from wear and damage where while plowing up against curbings. Specifically on Fisher plows, they will protect from wearing the head off from the outer base angle pin. If this pin does get worn off and it falls out, substantial damage to the blade may result if the operator doesn't notice the pin is missing and strikes a solid object with the outer end of the blade.

Is this an accessory that you would have any interest in purchasing, if Fisher offered them for sale?

Thank You

15. Gary Dwinal

Back Drags / Side Wings

I would greatly value any feedback or demand any of you folks would have for plow back drags. How many of you have either purchased or fabricated your own back drags for your plow? How much money did you pay or spend to get your backdrag?

Same questions as above for side wings. How many of you use or have demand for side wings? Would you prefer wings that mount straight out from the blade or off on an angle? Would you mount them on both ends of the blade or just one end at any given time?

Thank You

16. Fastcar

Fastcar Member
    from MA

If you had removable wings for the 8' I would have them on my plow as we speak. I guess at a angle. Which end? As the need or conditions changed so would the application.

Roy (still no spell check)

17. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Wings- wouldn't trust em unless well built and easy to use and store, Blizzards set up seems like it would be very susceptible to damage. Would rather have/use a heavy duty "V". Any possibility of them being produced in the future? M/C series 9ft. stainless "V" would be "THE" setup.

Backdrags- For the front blade or to add to the back?

Curb Gaurds- Yes.

18. Gary Dwinal

Hi Roy,
    Thanks for the feedback on the wings.

19. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

Yes we would like to see fisher offer curb guards for the HD series.As well as some more improvement in the painting process.I have 2 new plows with the storm guard,they are garaged and washed after every storm and one is fading pretty bad already,and off course our MM1 plows are shot they will be getting sandblasted and painted next year.

20. Gary Dwinal

Hi Big Dog,
    The backdrag I am referring to is the type that mounts on the back of the plow blade (blade - on the front of the truck) and swings up out of the way when the base angle trips when encountering an obstruction. I have seen many of these on Fisher blades. They work good for driving up close to say a garage door and dragging the snow back.

Do you currently use curb guards now?