1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher Discussion 10/23-10/27

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Michael J. Donovan, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

Hello Everyone!

Once again this year, one of our sponsors, Fisher Engineering, will be hosting a discussion here in the snow removal forum. The discussion will begin on Monday 10/23 and run until Friday 10/27. Be sure to read the discussion and feel free to participate. The discussions by Fisher in the past have created some great information and ideas and you can expect the same again this year.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2006
  2. Gary Dwinal

Gary Dwinal Senior Member

Welcome to the Fisher Engineering Discussion!

Once again, Fisher has opened this thread to discuss any technical issues, as well as answer any product-related questions regarding our snow and ice control equipment.

In addition, we encourage any feedback you might have regarding new product requests/ideas and future improvements.

Myself (product manager) along with representatives from the technical service and engineering departments are on hand to answer your questions. We will try to answer all posts in a timely manner. We thank you in advance for your participation and look forward to your comments.
    Thanks,
    Gary Dwinal

3. winged1dur

winged1dur Senior Member

When I had my plow installed in August at Lang's Garage in Rye, NH a slight defect was pointed out to me. The Snow control (part # 44571) is tilted to one side meaning the space between it and the moldboards are different on the right and left. The owner, Paul told me that Fisher was aware of this issue and would be addressing it. Does Fisher have a solution for this yet? The plow is a 9' 6"XtremeV Stainless steel.

4. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

How's it going. I figured I'd chime in and ask a question. I am going to be replacing the pump shaft seal and O-rings for the reservoir in my 8' HD MM2 tomorrow. Are there any things I should be aware of before tackling this job? Thanks for any help.

5. Gary Dwinal

Hi winged1dur,
    Thank you for purchasing one of our new Xtreme-V plows. We had a slight fixture misalignment for that particular part. Though only a few T-frames were built prior to the fixture being aligned properly, it sounds like your plow was one of those. If you will PM me with contact information, I will have one of our product service guys contact you to get the deflector taken care of and properly aligned.

6. Gary Dwinal

Hi Antnee77,
    Yes, be very careful when installing the motor shaft back down thru the pump shaft seal. The pump shaft seal can easily be damaged by the motor shaft if care is not taken while performing this procedure. The seal itself can be torn or the outer spring can be knocked out of the retainer, rendering the seal useless. You also should take extra care to make sure the large o-ring that seals the reservoir to the valve block stays in place while sliding the can back into position. Put some fluid on both the inside of the can and the outside of the o-ring prior to putting it all back together. As you should be doing at least once per season, always drain your system and replace it with Fisher EZ-Flow Hydraulic Fluid. Sometimes people will laugh when they hear us at Fisher promoting our hydraulic fluid. It is only because we know it will make a huge difference in performance, especially in cold weather performance, when compared to just trans fluid.

7. Antnee77

from RI

Thanks a lot, Gary. I appreciate the assistance. I always run EZ FLOW in my blade. I've got a gallon of it sitting in my garage right now. Nothing but the best!

By the way, my plow does not currently have a cutting edge bolted to it. I bought it last season and plowed with just the base angle. I bought a cutting edge for it, but never bolted it on because I realized how it will only protrude a couple of inches beyond the base angle. Some guys have drilled new holes in lower locations to get more life out of the edge. Some have just worn the hell out of the factory edge until the holes were around 2" away from the end. Some just bolt it up and let it last a season or two. What is your take on it?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2006
  8. Gary Dwinal

Some people will put on a cutting edge when the plow is new, some will wear it a little to get rid of some weight and then bolt on a cutting edge. Either way is fine. The base angle is a wear item. I would not recommend drilling new holes in the base to get more wear out of the bolt on cutting edge. Doing so will dramatically change the amount of leverage the cutting edge will have on the trip springs. This will cause the plow to trip too easily and can potentially result in permanent damage to your trip springs. If this happens the plow will trip very easily making it difficult to plow. My recommendation is to grind down the forward face of your base angle prior to bolting on your new cutting edge. If you do run just the base angle you may get a "lip" built up on the bottom and that can keep the cutting edge from bolting flat up against the base angle. If it doesn’t set flat up against the base angle it can easily come loose and may fracture.

9. Antnee77

from RI

Thanks again. Your information is invaluable, as I have seen and heard it all from truck dealers, plow dealers, friends, you name it! I think I may just bolt it on as it is now, utilizing the factory holes in the base angle, of course.

One more thing before I leave you alone, I didn't get a chance to pull apart my reservoir today, but I did notice that the kit I purchased also includes some type of copper bearing sleeve (looks like a 2" long piece of hollow copper pipe). I remember the dealer telling me to replace this piece as well. Do I need any special tools to do any of this?

10. Gary Dwinal

Hi Antnee,
    If you are replacing the seal just as preventative maintenance, I wouldn’t worry too much about replacing the bushing. If the bushing goes bad, it will generally make the hydraulic unit very noisy as it can cause a pump/motor misalignment. We do sell a special tool for this type of service.

11. Antnee77

from RI

Well, I'm replacing the seal because it seems to be broken. I told the dealer that the plow leaked hydraulic fluid through the top of the area where the motor mounts to the reservoir. I originally though it was just the large gasket that seals the reservoir, but once he mentioned the pump shaft seal, and how it can be damaged due to overfilling the reservoir with fluid, I immediately agreed. So it seems that the seal is damaged, but the hydraulic unit does not make any strange noises at all, so I am assuming that the bushing is just fine. Thanks again.

12. scholzee

scholzee Senior Member

Fisher dealer will not put a V plow on my 2006 Chevy 2500 with duramax Diesel

I have always run a fisher and would like to put a V on my truck but Dealers say they cannot, what are my options. Its a 2006 Chevy extended cab short box 2500 with a duramax diesel and Allison tranny 4x4.

13. Gary Dwinal

Hi scholzee,
    Believe it or not, the only plow that is applicable to your truck is a 7 1/2' RD plow. The reason for this is the extra weight of the heavy diesel engine and heavy Allison transmission "use up" the majority of the reserve front axle capacity on this particular truck. Other plow manufacturers may list this vehicle in their specs, but that doesn't mean the plow is legal and does not overload either the FGAWR or the GVWR. Our plow will bolt onto your truck just like theirs will, but in most cases those plows will legally overload the truck just like ours will. Sometimes we get unfair criticism on this subject as occasionally I hear that “brand X plow says it is OK to bolt their plow on my truck”. Generally it boils down to which company is giving the user more honest information so the user can make an educated decision on whether he wants to install the plow or not. Fisher gives more information than most any other plow manufacturer on the market, to help both our distributors and truck owners make an informed decision on this subject. In your case, it is a pretty sure bet that any other brand of V-plow will legally overload your truck as bad if not worse than will the Fisher V-plow.

14. rob1325

rob1325 Senior Member

V plow deflector ?

I purchased a 9.5 Extreme-V and went to dealer to buy a rubber deflector. My question is when I opened box the deflector has yellow writing on it unlike my X-Blade rubber deflector which has silver writing on it. Do you only make it in this color and not silver? Looks funny to me to have stainless plow with yellow writing say Extrem -V. I also would like to say that the new plow is really awesome and you guys did great job on the new V.

Thanks,
    Rob

15. Gary Dwinal

Hi Rob,
    First, thank you for buying a new Fisher Xtreme-V plow. We very much appreciate your business. Thank you also for the kind words about your new Fisher plow. When we first released the XBLADE for sale it was only offered in the stainless steel model. We added the option of painted steel models a year later. It was that reason, the color silver was embossed into the rubber deflector kit. With the Xtreme-V, as you know there are two options available from the start and I honestly do not have an answer for you why we chose the yellow color instead of the silver. I am sure I was involved in that decision, but simply do not remember why the yellow color prevailed. Changing the color to silver would be a very simple change to make and your comment/question will be taken under advisement. Thank you.

16. NickyBombs

NickyBombs Member

Rubber Deflectors for VBox Spreader??

Hi Gary,
    Last year I purchased a stainless steel x-blade and stainless steel vbox spreader fro my 2005 3500 Chevy truck. I love the plow but the spreader is another issue. I have the Honda engine and it takes a long time to get it started when its cold out. Plus I don't like the fact that the space where there license plate is on the rear bumbper gets full of salt. Is there any kind of rubber deflector that I can get to fix this. Also any other kind of rubber deflector on the top edge of the vbox to contain salt spills.

I love Fisher Plow products and will always buy them for there durabilty and engeneering.
    My next plow will be the stainless v.

Thanks,
    Nick B.

17. sam973

sam973 Member

Hi Gary, thanks for doing this Q and A again. I really like the lights that you just came out with. That was a big part of what we had talked about last year. My wish list for this year still has a few items though. Here are my thoughts. I know the Xblade is taller than the HD plow but I still would like to have a steal deflector to extend the hight a little more. This may sound crazy to some, but I could use a little more hight. If I had the ability to do higher speed plowing all the time it might not be needed as the snow would get thrown further, but alot of times it just isn't possible due to various obstacles. When you plow at slower speeds snow tends to pile up more in front of the blade. In the past I have always had my welder just make the blades taller, but it would be great if it were a factory option. The steal deflector you had for the HD plows was the right idea. To me the ideal hight would be somewhere in the 36-40 inch range, at least on the discharge ends. Perhaps the tapered design like on the new vplows would work on a regular blade. Make the ends taller than the middle. Another option I miss is the engine powered hydro system. I never had a problem with that. If the truck was running you knew the plow would too. No complaints about the electric system, but I wouldn't mind sparing the juice for lights, the salter, and what not.
    I know I'm throwing alot at you here, but it is a wish list. Thanks for looking it over, and I look forward to hearing your thoughts.