1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher Discussion 10/22 - 10/26

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Michael J. Donovan, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

Hello Everyone!

Once again this year, one of our sponsors, Fisher Engineering, will be hosting a discussion here in the snow removal forum. The discussion will begin on Monday 10/22 and run until Friday 10/26. Be sure to read the discussion and feel free to participate. The discussions by Fisher in the past have created some great information and ideas and you can expect the same again this year.
  2. Gary Dwinal

Gary Dwinal Senior Member

Hello to all,
    Let us all pray for heavy snow this winter! Heck, even a normal winter would be OK. This is the week I always look forward to each year. Getting direct feed back from customers that use our products commercially, is very valuable to our company and we take it very seriously. From now thru Friday, October 26, I will answer any technical or general questions about Fisher Snow and Ice Control products. It is great to be back on the plowsite forum.
    I would also love to hear from you all about any new product ideas. Maybe there are modifications you have made to your equipment that have helped you out. Maybe you have always wished you could buy _______ to help your equipment be more efficient?
    Thank you and I look forward to your comments and questions.
  3. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Hi Gary.

On last years thread and the one before that etc, I called for a return to lightwieght but commerical duty plows by Fisher. I really want a 7ft trip edge setup. NOT a HOMESTEADER

Your response on page two was basically to say they could not and would not do it because of FAWR standards etc. That the rubber band trip Homesteader was their answer. I question this when I can buy a Blizzard for a Tacoma, Jeep, S10 etc which is now owned by the same company.

Well, I have knocked Meyers in the past but I have been taking a serious look at their new plow as they have answered the call. Since I would go with a different hydraulic system anyway, the only thing I have ever had problems with (MEYER PUMPS) would be eliminated. I have also asked you to offer belt drive hydraulic universal kits. I continue to buy the pieces and install them in new trucks without issue.

Come on Fisher I know you guys can do something here.
  4. KenG

KenG Senior Member
    from MA

Welcome back, Gary. Thanks for visiting this site and doing the yearly discussion. It's good to know that user feedback gets heard by someone at the company.

I have no complaints. I commend Fisher for the arrival of new equipment in the past few years. The updated lights, Stainless V-plow, XLS, etc. really let me believe that you do listen to what plowers want.

One question: What brought about the change to Poly for the Xtreme-V instead of PC steel? Just curious.

5. Gary Dwinal

Hi Flipper,
    I think your question is a great question and one we have heard often since acquiring the Blizzard brand. Now that the Blizzard brand is part of our DD family, the installation guidelines have undergone some significant changes. Many of the vehicles that attachments were built for are no longer approved for plow installations. Some of these attachments are still available out in the field, but do not meet the weight criteria to be legitimate and legal snowplow installations. For some of the vehicles that are borderline for having a “lightweight but commercial duty" snowplow installed on them, it then becomes a matter of economics for a manufacturer like us. For a very high percentage of the people plowing with those types of compact or downsized trucks, the plows we are currently offering are very acceptable and work just fine. In most cases, these downsized trucks are simply not suitable or applicable to any type of commercial plowing. Most people that are truly plowing commercially tend to buy larger trucks that are applicable for the larger, more commercial duty snowplow installations.
    I have often said on here, other plow manufacturers continue to offer mounts for vehicles that when plows are installed on, do not even come close to meeting FMVSS rules and regulations. Said in other words, the vehicles are overloaded on either FGAWR and/or GVWR and are completely illegal and if ever involved in a traffic accident, the owner and or installer can be held liable for injuries or damage. The difference between DD and other plow manufacturers is we "take the high road" on this matter and pass every bit of information we can get our hands on, to our distributors and end users to help clarify what plows can legally be put on what trucks. The E-match program on our web site which is available to all is an excellent resource to see if your vehicle is applicable to the size plow you would like to install on it. Sorry to be so long winded, but this is probably the most sensitive topic in our industry, as vehicle load ratings continue to diminish in favor of passenger car like ride and handling characteristics in “trucks” today.
    I will also add that we are continuing to learn more and more about various manufacturing and design techniques. As a result, we may very well be able to design plows that will withstand the types of rigors you are looking for that will be applicable for the downsized trucks in the near future.
    Thanks for your question.
  6. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

WELCOME BACK GARY!!!! Hopefully i'll have my plow restoration project done to post up here to have you check out :) SEND CPW MY ANGLE RAMS!!! lol

I remember my first year on here before i got my license stating how i knew ide get a fisher for the following season and you talked to me about it, and now going into my second season with my own fisher (9th year plowing with them) i couldn't be happier!!!! It means a lot that you come by here ever year!
  7. Gary Dwinal

Hi Ken,
    First, thank you for the kind words. We have taken a very strong initiative over the past few years to aggressively pursue what we call VOC (voice of the customer) activities prior to launching any new product designs. All new product development teams that are established will send all or many team members out into the field and talk to both end users as well as people that sell our products. All of this information is then compiled and used in an exercise to build an HOQ (house of quality) which then sets the order of priorities for features and benefits that need to be designed into the new product. It is a very fun process to be involved in and I think the results speak for themselves with some of the new products we have launched over the past few years.
    Now to your question. I think you are referring to our XBLADE series of plows. We originally launched them for sale with just the stainless steel moldboard option. Many users liked other features on the plow (more aggressive angle of attack, taller height, etc) but didn't want to pay the premium for the stainless moldboard. That is why we added the powder coated steel option. For those that still like the additional benefits of the more maintenance free stainless but couldn't keep up with the crazy price increases we have all seen in the stainless steel market, we decided to offer the poly moldboard option. In order to keep the number of variations of blade offerings reasonable, we eliminated the powder coated option on the sizes we are offering the poly option on, as the poly option is not a lot more expensive than the powder coated steel option.
  8. Gary Dwinal

Hi mcwlandscaping,
    It is great to be back! Seems like I have become part of this little family on this forum. On the info at the top of your message it says you also plow in Guantonimo Bay, Cuba?? What is the story behind that? Not sure they get any snow there!
    I am glad to hear you have chosen Fisher as your brand of choice and you are very satisfied with doing so. I will assure you that we will work hard to keep you as part of our Fisher family. Please send me some photos of your restoration upon completion. Not sure what is going on with getting your cylinders. We currently have no backlog of any service parts that I am aware of.
  9. Ryno

Ryno Junior Member

8 1/2' poly

Hi Gary
    I dropped my F-350 off at my dealer on Friday to have an 8 1/2' poly X-Blade installed. After they made a few calls they discovered that you are not yet offering that size in poly. Do you have any idea how long it will be before you release the 8 1/2' poly?
  10. mcwlandscaping

I'll call CPW after school then :) If i can't post pics up here of the plow restoration i'll try to send them to you some other way!

As far as the cuba thing, that was something that i believe BNC Services started (or his friend on here that he plows with) and i was asked to participate as well! All in good fun!
  11. Gary Dwinal

Hi Ryno,
    Thank you for purchasing Fisher products. We have not discussed adding the poly moldboard option to the other sizes as of yet. It would be relatively easy to do if we decide to do so, but at the earliest would not happen until next season sometime. We will certainly take your request to so under advisement.
  12. mcwlandscaping

Hey gary, i copied this from my thread in the fisher section:

The blade and base angle of the plow need one more coat of paint and then it's time to put it all back together!!!!!! I have a few questions first.

1) when putting on the new rams, how do i extend them when i go to put them in as they are new and fully retracted?

2) once everything it hooked up, how do i go about bleeding (for lack of a better term) the sytem? Everything will be empty so do i just fill the resevior, go through all the functions a few times to fill all the lines and cylinders and get the air out, then recheck and add fluid?
  13. Gary Dwinal

Hi mcwlandscaping,
    1) What I usually do is put a pin or a bar into your bench vise and slide the barrel end onto the pin. Put another pin or bar into the rod end and pull outward on it while twisting back and forth slightly. Slide each ram out about half way thru its travel.

2) Fill the reservoir; if possible jack the truck up so the truck end of the A-frame is higher off the ground than the plow end. This will trap all of the air closer to the hydraulic hose fittings. Without raising the plow, angle the plow back and forth several times. This will get all of the air out of the angle cylinders which is where 95% of the air will come from as the lift cylinder is still retracted and will not contain much air. Re-fill the reservoir again and raise and lower the plow several times. It is best to let the truck set overnight or several hours to let all of the air separate from the oil in the reservoir, and then fill it up again to the full level.

3) Now go out into your yard and make sure none of your neighbors are watching. Perform the best snow dance you know how to do. Repeat if necessary - several times!!!!!!!
  14. SnowDozers

SnowDozers Member

I currently own a Blizzard 810 that I purchased for last season. I noticed that the wings of your new plow use Poly cutting edges to protect from damage. I worry that pushing against curbs with no "real" form of tripping could tweak the wings. I often use my plow now to push snow up over curbs and sometimes it can require a little push to move the frozen snow from previous events. What has testing shown, and have you made sure to do the "proper" testing this time around? (Not going to mention the PolyCaster nightmares.)
  15. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Question- I bought a used 2005 Fisher 8'HD MMII plow this past August for my 2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD pickup. IMO Fisher is the best out there! After looking at Westerns, Boss, Curtis, Snoway etc, the Fisher stood out as clearly the best choice!

Anyhow, now for the question- are Fisher and Western plow hoses and solenoids the same? Reason I ask- I have a western dealer a little closer to me than the Fisher dealer, and wondered if Western hoses/solenoids from Western will fit Fisher. I know Fisher and Western are both owned by Douglas Dynamics, figured maybe they used the same hydraulic hoses and soleniods. Thanks, and thanks for making a GREAT PLOW!:nod:
  16. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Hi Gary

I have a few ideas to keep your engineering busy.

Design a bolt on wing kit and back drag blade that is light and inexpensive for your most popular plow blades. Just make it a wear item so you sell new ones every few years. I say be a leader not a follower. Someone is going to do it and you’ll be scrambling to catch up. Next, make the x-blade frame out of aluminum, I run one but I think it would be lighter and better out of aluminum. I belive you would sell a ton more X-Blades to the ½ ton and foreign truck guys. And my final idea.. how about plow horns that are plated or stainless or the plow frame itself have a nylon guides so it doesn’t chip all up and rust. We all know that the powder coat doesn’t hold up there. How about a kit that keeps your tow hooks or some cool new Fisher ones the mount inside the frame that the bracket bolts into. At a minimum put a nice Fisher logo someplace on them, like your competition does.

PS. Send all prototypes to my house for testing.
  17. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

i second all of those
  18. mcwlandscaping

HELL YEA!! lol

i'de love to test them as well! :)
  19. nickv13412

nickv13412 Senior Member

Aluminum would be cool, i just think that there would be some problems with all the steel hardware and other components that have to be used and the aluminum parts corroding each other
  20. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Gary - Do you plan on having a plow available for the new Dodge 4500/5500 trucks that are going to be available soon? Your counterparts at Boss and Western have dropped the ball and currently have nothing to offer. Very disappointing to say the least.

Additionally, if you ever need someone to demo any of your new products feel free to get in touch with me and we'll chat. I wouldn't expect any form of monetary compensation, I'd be happy just keeping the equipment in return for my professional opinion.