1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher Dealer issues

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by abbe, Dec 10, 2009.

1. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

Anyone else find their fisher dealers absolutely suck? Theres a few in RI and local MA that i frequent, and out of the three theres only about one i feel that has a clue about the sh*t their selling. One place in particular, time in and time out, Cap City in Warwick, proves that they have the worst customer service. I went in there for a problem with my configuration plug, i simply needed the plug for my superduty. The Owner himself was talking down to me telling me i had no idea what i was talking aout hes done numerous installs and hes never used one, That im "crazy Kid". He then tried to tell me my four port iso module setup was obsolete and that all he deals with is new 3 port setups.

Most recent episode, i flushed my EZvee out, and my buddies insta act mm1. He stopped before we did it and picked up the fluid and filters. I had never changed a EZvee and when i opened it up i realized there were three filter inside. The guy at Cap City only sold us te two "ice rink filters". Even on the straight blade there are two filters and on my vee 3. The guy there who is supposedly a dealer and knows his stuff couldnt figure out what i needed when i called him up. He then proceeded to tell me he had it. So i went down there and He still had the wrong part. I flipped. i said you service and install these yet you dont know what the 3 filters inside look like? I had to go on the fisher website on his computer and shot him what i wanted on a diagram. Unbelievable.

Point: When did dealers become strictly installers who just lay wires in the engine bay and plug them together? When did they cease to back there product up and give customer support? they dont care about the product they sold you last year, if its broken buy a new one cause thats obsolete now.

Second Point: Their markup on parts, no just cap city but the majority in RI seems ridiculous. Ive been able to find the same parts online, at Donovan Equipment for 30 dollars less sometimes, and thats with shipping.

Does anyone have a Fisher dealer in Southeastern Mass or even one in RI i dont know about, that isnt outrageous, and still has some mechanical trouble shooting skills?

As you can tell im a bit fed up, and i finally just had enough of these hackers that really know nothing of the product they sell.

2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

3. avjohnson

avjohnson Junior Member

Marty's GMC in Kingston MA has great customer service and in my opinion, the prices are good.

4. snord

snord Junior Member

If you've got a tech issue, I've called Fisher directly a few times and they were always real friendly and helpful, even when I was asking a question on an older Ford that had a wiring setup they had to look up in the old, old manuals. I have mostly Western stuff and tried a few local Western dealers and they didn't seem to know much more than the basics. My local Fisher dealer was friendly, but because they do so many things besides plows, they don't always know what they should know. There aren't too many problems that can't be figured out by using the online publications at the Fisher or Western site. I know this is the Fisher forum, but if you have an older unit much is the same between the two. I'm pretty dumb mechanically, but after my dealer botched a rebuild of a power pack, I downloaded some mechanic's/troubleshooting guides and learned how to do it myself and have now rebuilt all my power packs and angle cylinders and know how to diagnose most problems.

5. nhpatriot

nhpatriot Senior Member

I have to disagree here.

In any industry, only a small fraction of those doing business will conduct themselves with integrity, and will develop excellence in their field. That's why it's so easy to build my business, just doing a job well and being honest is enough to thrill my customers. I don't know that poor dealer service is Fisher related.

My local dealer is excellent, is a multi generational family run business, and has comprehensive product knowledge.

With that said, I am happy to pay their markup. That is the markup required for them to stay in business. I live a mile down the road from the family who owns it, and they are not getting rich any more than I am by charging a fair rate.

There is a genuine value for my money spent. I have a local shop that stocks almost everything that I need, minimizing downtime significantly. And in my case, excellent support which means invaluable troubleshooting assistance when stuff comes up.

I appreciate your frustration with crappy service though. The sad truth is that to me, only about 5% of the businesses out there in any industry really have excellent service. I hope that you find a better dealer.

6. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

Its not so much the markup, I wouldn't mind paying it if any of the three shops had half a clue of what was going on. And its not so much the tech end, I'm inclined and fix everything myself, but when he asks about …the problem I'm expierncing and I proceed to tell him, he's ignorant. And don't get me wrong, it isn't just this one place in particular. It seems to be all of the local shops sadly, and it makes me really really hate to spend money there. I'd rather order it from Donovan and give them the business. I guess my main rant here is ignorance. Do I expect to much by thinking there mechanics? No. I just assume they have a handle on the products they sell. I mean if you sell fisher plows for a living and don't know the three filters inside I need to change the fluid? I think there's a problem there. And again just the ignorance, making it into the customers fault.

I'm glad to hear you support the local shop, as would I if there was one I could trust.