1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher cutting edge question

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by eagle86801, Feb 22, 2015.

1. eagle86801

eagle86801 Junior Member

I have a Fisher LD plow . It came with the poly cutting edge . The edge needs to be replaced so I bought a steel 3/8" from the Fisher dealer . The dealer told me to install the steel edge right over the old poly edge. I never saw a double cutting edge so I removed the poly and installed the new steel edge. When I began to plow the plow and truck ( 2005 Yukon ) shook violently. I don't know why. I removed the new steel edge and put the old worn poly edge back on. Question do I really have to leave the old poly blade on with the new steel edge or should I just buy a new poly edge . New poly edge $345 new 3/8 steel edge $122 . I would appreciate and suggestions or help . I have plowed with this truck for almost 10 years with this plow and had no problems . Thank you very much .

2. ADMSWELDING

ADMSWELDING Senior Member

Need to wear in the new edge just go easy for while it will get worn a bit. and stop shaking the truck violently.

3. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I run poly edges, new one will chatter also. Both will stop after they are broken in. Go slower - change angle.
    You may hear to drive down the road fast and drop the plow. I would not recommend this unless you are 100% positive there is nothing going to hook the plow.

4. eagle86801

eagle86801 Junior Member

Thanks for the help

I did ask the dealer if I drove down a bare asphalt road if it would help break in the new blade .He thought it might help. I asked him how many miles it would take but he didn't know. I will try your suggestions . Thank you very much for your help its very much appreciated .

5. TMLGC

TMLGC Senior Member

Yes do this on a smooth paved road. Get up to speed slowly lower blade so it is just scraping, won't take long at all. Very common concern.

6. scottydosnntkno

scottydosnntkno Member

It's common with a new edge. Just think, a worn edge is basically a 3/4" flat surface rubbing on the road that bridges gaps,cracks,joints etc. a new edge has a 90 degree corner that is trying to dig into every little bump or imperfection in the road.

Basically your putting all the weight of the plow on a 1/16" wide area instead of a 3/4" area

7. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Keep your plow angled and it'll cut down on the chatter. Won't take long for it to wear in