1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher Crossmember rot

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ShafferNY, Sep 26, 2004.

1. ShafferNY

ShafferNY Junior Member

Hi everyone,
    I have an old Fisher plow on my '78 Chevy truck. The crossmember that the plow attaches to is rotted out. I need to either make a new one or find a place to buy one. What is the easiest way to fix it? I don't want to weld it directly to the sides because I'd like to be able to remove it in the future if necessary.

2. HALH VT

HALH VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

You really don't want to buy a new one! The local dealer quoted me something like $165 last year for one for my 79 F150. I built one from steel I had, used the ears off the old one, new pins and springs. It took me about 7 hours, including removal and replacement, and some time digging in the scrap heap, and just plain staring at the project to figure out how to go about it.

A couple of suggestions: If you make one, use a heavier I-beam than the original, it takes longer to rust out, and will not twist as easily. Whether you build or buy, new or used, clean it up, paint it real good, and drill a couple of drain holes through the web of the I-beam. Salt, sand, and water sitting in the top of the beam is what rots them.
  3. ShafferNY

ShafferNY Junior Member

I know what you mean about twisting. I saw one over at our local junkyard that was twist up pretty bad. I don't know how-in-th-world they ever did it.

I got some 1/4" thick square tubing that is 3" wide. Since the blocks on the sides of the frame are worn out anyway, I'm going to just grind them off and weld new ones on where I need them.

I'm also going to enclose the ends of the square tubing so I can run the 5/8" bolts into them. I'm not sure whether I'm going to drill and tap the ends of the tubing, or just drill a hole and tack a nut to the end before I weld them in. Maybe I'll do both to make darn sure it'll hold.

I wonder why Fisher didn't make these things out of square tubing from the factory? Or at least drilled few holes in them.
  4. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

If it took 26 years of running in salt and snow to rust it out I wouldn't complain too much about the original design. :rolleyes:

And at the quoted $165 for a new one with the quoted 7 hrs to fabricate your own replacement. I would ask myself just what is my time worth? payup
  5. ShafferNY

ShafferNY Junior Member

I'm making my own partially because I'm cheap and partially because I'm poor(a college student).

Don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining. We have an '82 Bronco with a Fisher Speedcast plow on it. It has the same style crossmember on it and it's practically new. It's coated in a bunch of grease and grime.
  6. HALH VT

HALH VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

7 hours to fab up the new one included removal and replacement, which would have been neccessary with a purchased one as well. Buying one would also have included a thirty mile round trip to the dealer and 5 percent sales tax.

Furthermore, at the time of year I did it, things are a little slow for me in the cash flow department, and any day I can pay myself that well for doing something I enjoy is a day well spent. If I could have been out raking in the cash doing something else I would have done it differently. I also resent paying that kind of money for a simple part on a truck that I had less than $1000 invested in to start with.