1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher Controller for Meyer

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Waterchikn, Dec 3, 2001.

1. Waterchikn

Waterchikn Senior Member

Well, seems it would make more sense just to buy
    a fisher plow, but I do have a meyer, and I like the new fisher controller, the hand held one (I think its new) You hold it in your hand and use your thumb to move the plow. Was wondering if anyone would know if I could use that controller on my meyer plow, Currently I have the old 3 switch controller. I would imagine a switch is a switch and it would work, but any info you might have would greatly be appreciated.....

Its SNOWtime.

2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I was thinking of doing the same thing with a Fisher joystick (like all my other plows) onto my Toyota with a Meyer. May have to look at the schematics and see how different the controls are.

3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I am not sure how meyer energines their coils. If they do it with the controller completeing 12v to the coils, then you wont be able to use the fisher fishstick. Douglas Dyanamics keeps 12V at all times to the solenoids, and then uses the controller to complete the path to ground. If you run 12 v though the fishstick controller, I think you will fry it.
    But I am by no means an electical engineer, maybe the two Daves can fight out an answer to this as well. HAHA
    Dino

4. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

You are right Dino.

Meyer charges the coils with 12v from the switches. I think it would take some fancy engineering to make the controllers work now that I look at it.

5. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Well, you could easily change from the current switches to the Meyer Touch Pad, which you could hold in your hand, and which I always just use my thumb to control. No re-engineering needed & you can use your thumb.

6. Waterchikn

Waterchikn Senior Member

Now that I have alittle info. It seems that it would be easier to just use the meyer controller. I guess the different systems are exactly that, different. I could use relays and make it work I guess, but I think I just might use that meyer deal. thanx for all the input. Heres another to pick your brain. I saw a guy who had a rubber cutting edge mounted to his steel edge. it was only about 3 inches wide. He said it reduced the shock and wear and tear a whole lot, has anyone ever heard of this.?? It looked strange and he swears by it..???
    Didn't want to post another thread, and I did a search, but nothing like this appeared. ..??
    COnfused.?

7. DaveO

DaveO PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Ma.

Fishstick controller

Dino,

Was just finishing up the wiring on my Ram. Was going thru the schematic and noticed that on the SEHP setup's they have a constant gnd on the coils, and the joystick/fishstick switches in the 12vdc to energize them. I assume you were look at a Vplow schematic, so that must be the difference.

So maybe you could use a fishstick for a Meyer's??

Dave

8. BRL

waterchikn,
    Try a search on "polyurethane" instead of "rubber". You will find plenty of info on them, and plenty of comments about the differences between polyurethane, steel and rubber cutting edges.

9. Waterchikn

Waterchikn Senior Member

Yeah....I did.. I mean this was like a flimsy rubber. and it was bolted to the steel cutting edge. Thats why I thought it was weird.
    He said he was going to try some new things. I guess in reality you could leave the plow up alittle and just use the rubber (for slush or what not) and then drop it all the way for hard packed. weird I thought. Might be worth trying..?

10. BRL

The rubber that you saw is the cutting edge. You can't use the steel or the rubber or the polyurethane. Whatever is making contact with the ground is the cutting edge and is doing the scraping. The steel edge is left on the soft materials as a washer basically to help support it to the plow. As you saw in the other threads, the main problem with rubber edges is that they are too flimsy & eventually "memorize" their scraped back shape, making them not work as efficiently as when originally installed. Plus they wear much faster than Urethane & steel.

11. #1 plowtech

#1 plowtech Senior Member

your best bet is to install a single switch to control all functions. buy the meyer slick-stick and harness,its only about $125.00 bucks,and you can install in about a half hour. its very,very easy, and put your schematics in the fire. good luck,#1 PT.

12. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

I'll agree with Dave0 on this one. :)