1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher.com, timbrens and such (long rambling post)

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Rustbucket, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Junior Member

Hey guys,
    I want to say first that I love this site. I just wanted to get some input. I went to fisher.com to see how much ballast (lots of posts about this) I needed. According to them I shouldn't even have a plow on the ole beast. But let me give you a little background, this truck has had a pretty hard life. I bought it for less than $1900. The odometer has rolled at least once. I may have been a municipal truck (yellow paint under blue, under silver.) It has a new bed, new doors and maybe a new hood. All of these things point tosome serious work at some point (at least to me.)

Anyway, I just wanted to put that in here so you know that I already had an idea that this poor old beast was probably never meant to plow and that it's pretty hard on her, BUT...... That's what I bought it for and that's what it will do.

Aw crap, I'm rambling again. My main question is "How do timbrens work?" I know that they are like a heavy duty bump stop with a spring, but do they make conatact ALL the time? I feel like I get extreme sag with the plow on. I don't know if it's just normal or if the springs are tired. Has anybody tried "helper leaf springs?" Any opinions would be appreciated.

I HAVE done a search of the forum and I have visted timbrens.com.

I know that SOME of this has been covered before, BUT if you guys didn't get posts like this from us new guys, what would you do ALL DAY till the snow flies?

2. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

Talk to Big Nate. From what I understand he's the man to see on that subject here.

3. grotecguy

grotecguy Senior Member

My Timbrens touch all the time. Don't know if they are designed that way or not but mine do. They were bought used and for a different application but they definitely work. The package and directions were for a 94 and up Dodge and I put them on a 1982 Dodge.
    The front end of the truck barely drops with the Timbrens, maybe 1/2 inch with a heavy old Western conventional mount plow. They were definitely worth the money I spent.
    The ride is a little more harsh, bounces a little more over large bumps, without the plow. Its not too bad for a 4x4 truck thats 20+ years old, they were meant to ride like that. You could always just take them out when not needed. A floor jack and a 9/16 wrench is all I would need.
    I think I am running around 300 lbs of ballast just behind the rear wheels. I have 3 chunks of railroad rail and 5 or 6 sand bags.
    If you need any pics, I'll try to get some of my install.

Big Nate would have good prices on new.

Hope my post makes sense to you,
    Mark K

4. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

what is the application? FOrd, chevy or dodge?

5. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Just installed my timbrens last week. They are fronts and do not touch the pads. There is about 1/2 inch clearence, till the plow goes on. Got mine from garagekeeper.
    Todd

6. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Junior Member

Hey Nate,

It's an '85 F250 with a 351 , and thanks to evreyone for their opinion