1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher cable actuated minute mount 8' plow issues.

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by biggman100, Jul 26, 2015.

1. biggman100

biggman100 Junior Member

I recently purchased a 2000 GMC K3500 with an 8' Fisher cable actuated minute mount plow, that has a few odd issues that i am not even sure where to start with. The first issue, i filled it with ATF, because it was low, worked it up and down, left and right, and it seemed to work fine, but, i went out 2 days later, and now the plow wont move at all. I tried to hold the stick in the raise position for a minute, and, the plow didn't move, but, it about made the truck stall until i let off the stick. Same thing happened when i tried twisting the stick left or right to angle it. I talked to the PO, and he said that it has been doing that for the last couple years, and after it sits a couple days, you have to push it against something before it will work again. Any ideas on what to look for there? The other issue is, it has sat about a week now, and, the plow has slowly lowered on its own, and still wont go back up or angle either direction. Could it be just that it needs the fluid flushed and refilled, or, could it be something else i should look for? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. tractorbill

tractorbill Member

Replace the quick disconnects all 3 both sides the seats go bad and allow the ball to block the fluid flow

3. MXZ1983

MXZ1983 Senior Member

Besides the problem, I'm not sure why you would leave the plow up for a week. Don't you put it down whenever you park it?

4. biggman100

biggman100 Junior Member

We leave it up because the truck is driven on a daily basis, and it is either that, or cut the plow mount off, since the PO decided he was handy with a welder, and welded not only the chain to the triangle piece at the top of the up and down ram, but also welded the pins that mount the plow to the truck so that they couldn't be taken out, because he was afraid that someone would steal his plow while he was at work during the day, so, that leaves me 3 options, put the plow down, and hope it will raise when i get ready to use it the next time i drive it, or, fight with it every time i want to use it, not use it at all except to plow my driveway in the winter (which isn't an option since i also bought it to use to tow a trailer with, on a daily basis), or a bunch of cutting and grinding to get the plow off the truck. As it is, right now, just to use the truck, i raised it with a jack until the ram started going up on its own, got it up all the way, and then chained it up until i get it figured out and fixed.

As for the disconnects, where would be the best place to get them? My experience is mainly with Meyer plows, and the one time i got them from tractor supply for a 6' Meyer on my old Dakota, it didn't take them 2 months, and they leaked.

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Go to a hydraulic shop and get quality quick disconnects, or visit one of the site sponsors and get factory ones.
    Next, cut the lift clevis and the pins off. There's no need to drive around with the plow on in the middle of summer.