1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher Base Angle pins and Curbguards

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by CMerLand, Mar 23, 2001.

1. CMerLand

CMerLand Senior Member

Snow forum sure has slowed down but had to get in one last post before all is said and done.

I have a 8' fisher minute mount and have now twice worn off the base angle (the trip portion of the blade) pins on both sides from running along curblines. (Hey I'm thorough!!! and was used to using my myers)

The first time it occured I purchased a pair of bolt on curb guards. These guards where basically 2 1/2' solid steel cylinders that bolted across the trip edge thru the cutting edge holes. They hung over the edge of the plow and would hit the curb prior to the plow end.

Life was good with these until last year. While cleaning up condo units and doing my usual thorough job, I managed to slowly stick this curb guard inside a sewer opening as I positioned myself for the next run. As I let out the clutch the plow got hooked on the guard, stalling the truck and twisting the plow mounting parts, the A frame and the truck frame rails. (Hey Im an idiot!!!)

That damage was repaired and I considered it a fluke as it had not occurred in the 3 years prior. However, now that the guards have been worn down by a third, from all the curb running, when the plow is fully angled the pins were able to be worn again. So after replacing the pins I'm considering other types of curb guards.

The questions then are:

1. Has this happened to anyone else??
    2. Has anyone used a different type of guard on their fishers?
    3. Does fisher make a curbguard of its own, as the trip edge portion does mean some curbguards can not be used.

I really dont need to replace these guards just to protect the pins. By not fully angling the plow the guards still do their job. However since they are worn now and its likely someone else will be driving this truck next year and may forget to back off the full angle, and the possiblity of catching another sewer grate does exist, I'm looking for alternative ideas. Got any???

2. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

Consider them a maintenance item. The Boss is poorly designed in this area too as curbs will wear on the structural sides of the blade.

I just got ahold of some 1/2 thick 1080 dozer cutting edge, flame cut some appropriate size chunks and poured the 7018 rod to hold them on. They take the wear, and don't weaken the blade. In Boss's case, they make special guards, but mine do the job.

I know the Fisher design is different, and it sounds like you are already 3/4 of the way there. Steel in a select spot will protect alot.

My 3 cents (with exchange rate applied)
  3. Bill c

Bill c PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ny

I replace about two sets of those pins a year,its just part of running a fisher.
  4. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Put on a urethane edge and let it stick out 3" past the blade on each end, problem gone! Next year I'll have urethane on all of our plows, it's amazing how well it works.
  5. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Ditto the U-edge. Should be more flexible for the next time you target a storm drain also. I've never had this problem, but I'll be checking those pins tomorrow. Thanks for giving me something to do with the Fisher, because I think it feels neglected because there's always something to do with the Meyer plows and the Fisher gets a little jealous from the lack of attention.
  6. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

If you're not "sold" on the U edge, you can at least use pieces of urethane on the ends of your plow. First, it will help support the plow, reducing wear on the ends of the cutting edge, and second it will give you curb protection. If it was me, I'd go with a complete U edge.

7. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

From what you're saying I'm picturing you plowing with the plow angled away from the curb, I think that's the only way to wear the pin on the curb. (although I could be thinking backwards and upside down) Is there any way you could clean up with the plow angled towards the curb. The only wear I've found from doing this is an angle worn in the end of your cuting edge. Mine is totaly shot and needs to be replaced but it's only wearing the edge of the metal behind the cuting edge not the pins. I think it would make sense for Fisher to move the outer pin a few inches though.
  8. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

"Put on a urethane edge and let it stick out 3" past the blade on each end, problem gone! Next year I'll have urethane on all of our plows, it's amazing how well it works."

After a season with my U edge like this, the edge has turned up on the ends.(smile). piece of one end has also been torn off. Next season it will be cut even with the plow.

Why do you angle the blade away from the curb? Its the only way I can see the pins being worn down. If you must, stay a few inches from the curb, move the snow, then clean up the remaining strip angled towards the curb. Save the plow.
  9. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I cut my U edge 3" to long on each side,I ended up cutting it back to 1 1/2" on each side,this works perfect for me.I hav rubbed curbs with my Fisher,the pins got scuffed up,but I didnt do it enough to wear them out.
  10. SLC1

SLC1 Senior Member

we use curb guards that are curved to cover the side also they dont just stick out, We were having the same problem, with a lot of long runs along side granite curbs and they were wearing the pins out quickly, put two sets on two of the plows and have not replaced the curb guards yet, they work great. Just my two cents
  11. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

The problem with steel curb guards is the damage they do to the curbs itself. Your customers dont want grooves channeled out of their curbing, or steel rust marks on granite curbs.
    We also had some urethane chunk out on us this year, funny tho, not on my plow. The only upside I can think of to this, is that imagine what kind of hit it absorbed and saved the truck from. With the u edge overhanging, when you hit a curb you just bounce right off, very smooth.
    One thing I havnet mentioned is that some people are running the u edge even with a new steel edge, that way you get the scrapping ability of the steel, and the wear of the u thane.
    If you want to stay with the steel only, 2-1' pieces bolted to the out side 2 holes of the plow will get you very good protection.
  12. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

I build up the ends of the trip edge with a hard facing electrode, just like a dozer blade or loader bucket, and it cuts down on the wear from the curbs. It will keep the heads of the pins from wearing through, I usually do it as part of my pre-season maintainance.