1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher 8ft HD - 3 trip springs vs 4

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by zimmm, Nov 3, 2006.

1. zimmm

zimmm Junior Member

I have a 76 F250 with an 8ft Fisher mounted to it. The plow is missing one of the four springs for the trip edge. What kind of problems will this cause me?

It will be used to plow gravel driveways & parking areas, using shoes 95% of the time.

Should I weld on a new tab/mount for the missing trip spring?

2. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Interesting question. My initial thought would be that it will just trip easier. It may trip on cracked pavement and ruts in the road where if it had 4 springs it would be harder to trip. I don't think it will pose a huge problem.

3. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

I'm thinking it may trip easier when not really need, and if your pushing on something like gravel the easier triping may let stones and other things get caught between the mold board and the drip edge.

4. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Should be an Easy fix,

Typically the parts you'll need can be gotton for under $60, why not fix it right and not worry about what kind of effect it will have on it's operation.

Try CPS supply or Jerre's in Erie, PA., he may have some good used stuff to fix you right up

5. BJH Snow

BJH Snow Senior Member

3 vs 4 trip springs

Hello,

I would definitely replace your 4th spring. I had one break off towards the end of the snowplowing year last year and went with 3 for about a month. The blade tripped more that it normally did with 4. It took a little work to replace the spring and re-weld the hole in the mouth of the plow but I got repaired it myself and it cost me about $25 for the new trip spring assembly and that was it other than paint and etc.

Good Luck