1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher 8' XBLADE

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by CAT420, Feb 14, 2008.

1. CAT420

CAT420 Senior Member

Guys i have an 2003 gmc sierra 2500hd and i was looking into the 8' fisher xblade. Is this a good choice? Also, are the Whelen 90w hide aways a good choice?

2003 GMC 2500hd
    01 xr200r
    01 SV650s
    Ford 445 1yd bucket

2. MnDLawn

MnDLawn Senior Member

I have a 7.5 SS X-blade on our F-150 7700. A couple things that are unique about the X-blade is that it is MUCH louder/noisier than a tradition plow, the SS like to rattle against the main frame. Their are no shoes available for it, their are curb shoes but they are not like the traditional round shoe that keeps the blade off of the ground. Also you need to buy a cutting edge because one does not come standard. Over all it has been a great plow, we have run it for 3 seasons, 80+ jobs per storm, 10-15 storms a year. We have had no downtime other than to replace the cutting edge. Any other questions about it let me know.

3. MnDLawn

MnDLawn Senior Member

Also, it is nice to have a plow that after 3 years of abuse and salt shows no sign of rust. The blade is still nice and shiny (love the Stainless Steel) and we keep the frame coated with Fluid Film.

4. CAT420

CAT420 Senior Member

thanks for the help, yea i want the ss. I wasnt looking to buy new anyways so hopefully i find one with the cutting edge on already. Ive been looking at a couple mm2 a couple years old for about $2500 is that a good price?

5. MnDLawn

MnDLawn Senior Member

For a SS X-Blade with a mm2 it sounds like a good price, we paid $5000 new. Just be careful, look down the plow length way and make sure it is not bent or tweaked. Fisher plows do not fold like western, the edge trips. This can be good for carying a snow load but when you hit a solid object the blade does not fold/give and it can distort the moldboard and frame. As far as the cutting edge goes, none of fishers plows except for the v's come with a cutting edge, they are an option. Just make sure the trip edge is not worn past the mounting holes for the cutting edge. Good luck

6. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

i have the ss xtreme V it is by far the best v plow ive ever owned. it is the only plow that has yetto rust. we also have a couple regular x blades. they are very nice. worth every cent you will spend on it.