1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher 8' making loud noise and stalling when bringing blade up.

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by TurbDies2500, Dec 15, 2007.

1. TurbDies2500

TurbDies2500 Senior Member

I used my plow yesterday and the day before and everything was fine. I went to hook up to it tonight and went to lift it up and it began to make a loud screaching noise and slowed down. It moves side to side perfectly and was operating perfect the other day. Anyone have any ideas?? Im hoping i can have it figured out by tomorrow.
  2. pyro29

pyro29 Member

What do you have? If it's a MM2 is it belt driven hydraulic or self contained electric? Either way, it sounds to me like you're hearing a belt squeal. If it is belt driven, check the belt tention...if it's self contained and the belt is squealing, you may need a new belt and / or tentioner OR the alternator may be on the way out. Post more info...
  3. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

MM2's are a self contained unit and don't have belts. If there is a belt squeaking then it would probably be from the alternator with the extra load.
    Mine makes a loud slam every now and then. I thought it was the chain catching, still haven't figured it out. But it jumps and makes a bang sometimes, usually after I have plowed into a bank and the plow has lifted by itself.That's why I'm thinking it's the chain. Check and make sure nothing is catching maybe??
  4. snow7899

snow7899 Senior Member

I had a similar problem with my 8' x-blade. I dropped the fluid resevoir and replaced the return screen and installed the redesigned pickup filter assembly. It seemed like my pump was airating with heavy loads, even side to side at times. New kit comes with all the o-rings needed including a new pump o-ring. good luck.
  5. tkrepairs

tkrepairs Senior Member
    from maine

from that description it sounds like low fluid or somethings blocked in the pump. screeching is typical when its just sucking air, and stalling, well that can happen with low fluid. good luck. seems odd to do it all of a sudden, usually something like that slowly creeps up on you as fluid usually leaks slowly.
  6. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

There was a problem with pick-up tubes falling off at a certain period which will give that symptom,pull the resivoir off,it'll probably be laying at the bottom of the tank.