1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher 8' HD valve issue

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by 2012F350, Dec 15, 2013.

1. 2012F350

2012F350 Junior Member
    from None

A little history on the plow first. Plow had been used commercially since new in 2005. It was sold because of an electrical malfunction. The power solenoid had stuck on and the operator didn't know it. It ran the pump until it actually melted the truck side power harness and lost contact. I replaced both the truck and plow side power harness along with picking up a new solenoid and a couple other small parts it needed. The first time I hooked up to the plow the only thing it would do, no matter what button on the control was pushed (left, right or raise), was angle to the right. After about 30 minutes of pressing buttons and checking wiring it finally came to life and worked as it should. If I hook to the plow once every 3 weeks or so it doesn't have the problem but after it sits for a month, or even worse, all summer, it will throw this fit and only want to angle to the right until you try moving it enough. I have 3 different controllers for the plow, 2 fishsticks and a joy stick and all three do it. If I apply power to the pump by jumping the solenoid it will angle to the right. I have pulled all spools out of the valve and they are clean and O-rings look great. Oil in the pump is the blue fisher stuff and was changed when I bought it and I changed it at the end of last season. I have to put it on my new to me 2012 F350 tomorrow but before I do I just wanted to see if anyone had an idea what could be going on. I don't want to replace the valve body but I guess I won't have much choice. Thanks for any info ahead of time.

Phil

2. 2012F350

2012F350 Junior Member
    from None

Well, this is my final issue to deal with before I can use the plow. I got the plates and wiring done today and hooked to the plow and all it wants to do is angle to the right. Short of spending $650 on a complete hydraulic manifold I am at a loss. I will screw with it again tomorrow and see if I can figure it out. I have to do this outside and the below zero temps make that difficult.

3. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Sounds like weak S3 coil or sticking S3 valve.

4. 2012F350

2012F350 Junior Member
    from None

Well this is what I have done so far to narrow down my issue. I have switched wires on all the coils so the functions on my fish-stic were all backwards and had the same issue. This tells me the wiring and controls are working properly. I have switched coils around to different valves and I still have the issue so that tells me the coils are probably ok. I have pulled all the valves and inspected the o-rings and looked for any scoring and there is nothing. I will have to pull the valves back out and see if I missed something.

5. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

There is a small piston inside the valve that may be sticking. Don't think the valves are too expensive, but I have never had to buy one.

6. 2012F350

2012F350 Junior Member
    from None

I will pull them all tomorrow and check them. Thank you.

Phil

7. 2012F350

2012F350 Junior Member
    from None

Problem cured. I pulled all three cartridges and the valves in them all moved at they should. I installed a new poppet check valve kit at the suggestion of the dealer who had a service tech inspect all 3 of my cartridges. Works perfect. Now to finish up the light harness mess left by the last owner.