1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher 8.5' V Plow, good or bad?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by brian m, Aug 25, 2004.

1. brian m

brian m Member

Looking for comments on the Fisher 8.5' V Plow, good or bad.
    I have an opportunity to get one for $2000, it is only 2 years old and in like new condition. The seller says he had trouble with the fishstik control (too confusing) but was otherwise a good plow but too small for his dually.
    I'm just looking for opinions from those who own one or had used one in the past.
    Also, when it comes to back dragging a driveway do they do a good job? like if you drop the blade in the straight position close to the garage and when you start backing put in the V position to create a "reverse" scoop, does it scrape better that way????

Any knowledgeable comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Brian

2. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I run a 9.5 fisher v and really like it. Dont back drag much so i cant help you there. first gen fishstic is a PITfreakingA and I am actually trying to sell mine so I can get the new model. A bit slower than a boss and the older controlers are crap compared to the boss but they actaully trip so that a plus. Good plow and I like it.

3. brian m

brian m Member

Ratlover,
    How will I know if it's a first gen fishstic?
    Is that the difference between mode and no mode button, and what is so bad about them, and if they were that bad isn't fisher replacing the older fishstic with the newer one, seems only right.

4. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

At 2 years old it will be the old Fishstic with the mode button(I can't believe he would have the new one yet as the dealers are just starting to get them in this summer)The controll works 100%,it's just that enough people suggested a new controll design that Fisher acted on it.

5. brian m

brian m Member

Arc Burn,
    Do you know if they'll replace the old one with the new one at no charge?

6. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

2000 for a used fisher v take it and run

7. brian m

brian m Member

Yeah but I still have to buy the undercarrige to fit my truck along with the wiring harnesses, the local Fisher dealer says it will be around a $1000.
    Is it still a deal?????

8. Arc Burn

Controlls will not be replaced,like i said,there's nothing wrong with the old controll,they are fully functional,the new one is just improved.Chevy isn't going to give you a new 05' because it was improved from your 04':p (drastic comparison,i know:D )

Is this a MM1 or MM2?What was it off and whats it going on?Is he giving you his mounts and wiring?I can probably help you out with parts and install if you need it,I'm a little over an hour from the NY/CT line.

9. brian m

brian m Member

Arc Burn,
    I think it's an MM2
    It's off of a 2002 Chevy 1 ton Dually, it's going on a 1997 F250 HD.
    He's keeping everything on his truck except the controller, he's getting the 9' HD straight plow instead.

Do you have an undercarraige to fit my '97 F250 HD?

10. brian m

brian m Member

If it is a MM2 Plow will it fit on a truck with an MM1 undercarriage/pushplates or does the MM1 undercarriage/pushplates need to changed to an MM2 setup?

I thought the MM1 and MM2 pushplates are the same, aren't they??
    The only difference should be on the "plow side" with all the upgrades being just on the "plow side" and not having anything to do with the pushplates, is that true???

11. Arc Burn

Yes,they are the same.I don't have used mounts to fit that right now,things come and go.The truckside kit gets expensive with the E-force electrical unit,was your dealers price installed?
    Is it still a deal?A new one this year will run $4200-$4400,you'll save a little,plow would have to be in excellent shape.

12. brian m

brian m Member

Arc Burn,
    It is like new, please send me a PM if you run across anything that will fit my truck, and yes that was installed.
    Is the E-force unit the little computer they use to control the lights and the controller?

Thanks,
    Brian

In the mean time I should probably post a wanted ad on this site to start looking for the undercarriage and wiring harness for my F250, does this site have a place to do that?

13. Arc Burn

Yes,the E-Force is the little black box for the electrical system.I'll let you know if anything comes thru.

14. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

What he said. The old style with the mode button just is a bit more cumbersome to use. Fisher listened to all our bitching(I have to think I did my fair share;) ) and redesigned it. Its not really that bad to use but if you are used to coming from a boss and you are out flying through a lot you really start to curse the dreaded mode button. Like I said, if you want an old style with one season on it I'm trying to off load mine. New they are close to 300$ list and I need to come up with a way to off set it, although a spare isnt that bad an idea so I may just keep it

Yup, scoll down, we got a wanted for sale :nod: