1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher 8 1/2 Extreme V - how to make it work

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by cookie, Sep 28, 2008.

1. cookie

cookie Member

Hi, went to the Fisher dealer here in town Fri. to price the extreme-v for my truck.
    He told me that Fisher doesn`t recommend that plow for my truck - it is a 2500 4x4 with a Cummins. I find it hard to believe that my truck won`t handle that plow - just wondering what I could do to the truck to make this set-up work. Thanks - Jason

2. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

Fisher's e-Match says for a 2002(right?) Ram 2500(hd), in either reg cab or ext. cab config, you can hang a 7 1/2 or 8 1/2' xtreme-v or a multitude of straight blades, as big as a 9' x-blade on your truck. To help handle the weight, you could try Timbrens or air bags.

here is the link to truckspring.com for your truck: http://www.truckspring.com/VSearchResults1.aspx

Last edited: Sep 28, 2008
  3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Ive seen 3 or 4 guys with X treme V's on thier 2500 all with cummins. They seem to do ok with it.

4. cookie

cookie Member

that's what i figured - thanks

5. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

i wouldn't worry about it my 8' pro plus weights 805 lbs and my truck squats about 1" in the front.(thats on a 3rd gen cummins)

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Believe me Fisher would if they could, but it's prohibited under the FVMSSA 105 brake certification. Some dealers will disregard the restriction and install it anyway.

7. cookie

cookie Member

It got bought today - 8 1/2 extreme v. I went with the yellow moldboard - should look good installed!

8. cookie

cookie Member

I was just on Fisher's web site. The 9 ft x-blade which is recommended is only 65 pnds lighter that the xtreme v, 65 pds wont make that much of a difference will it? Would it be because I have an 8ft box?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2008
  9. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Dont worry about all that crap. I hang a 9'2" Vplow off the front of my 2500 Cummins and the truck barely settles into the suspension. They are just going off ultra-conservative ratings the manufacture gives the truck.

10. cookie

cookie Member

Cool - thanks for the input. I am just putting my mind to ease. I'll post pics when she is done!

11. TEX

TEX Senior Member

post up the pics when its installed.

12. cookie

cookie Member

Plow is on the truck finally!! The old girl looks good, I just haven't had time to take pics. Hopefully I will have the salter on the back of her in the next week or two - then i'll post pics. The fornt end olny settles 1/2" so I think it will work fine.

13. schuitb

schuitb Member

Only half an inch.

Hey, just wondering does the truck only settle half an inch because that is all there is left and your on the stops or is there more susp. travel??

On the other hand if you only had half an inch of travel before the plow goes on it wouldn't be much of a suspension..

Thanks
    Brian

14. farmboy52787

farmboy52787 Senior Member

Ive noticed that on Fishers ematch tool on there website they dont want to put a bigger plow on trucks with diesel engines probably because a diesel engine is heavier than a gas engine. O well

15. cookie

cookie Member

Lots of travel left in the springs, The little I drove the truck with the plow on so far it works pretty good. The heaviest plow Fisher recommends with the e-match is only a bit lighter the the Extreme. found out on another forum that Dodge came up with their weight rating based on 6 full grown men in Cab. Since I might only ever have 1 person with me (rare) I don't think the weight will ever be an issue.

16. cookie

cookie Member

Oh yea, got the tailgate salter mounted this week, If it's nice tomorrow I'll get some pics!!

17. Stark_Enterprises

Stark_Enterprises Senior Member

I have been told it has a lot to do with the GAWR, and ballast amount. (Gross Front Axle weight rating) Before 2000 The 2500s only had a 4800# weight rating. Now they all come with 5200# weight rating. Heince the reason why fisher (ematch) will only allow me to put a 7.5 Hd plow on my 1998 Ram 2500 Cummins QC/LB. I used to have a 02 Cummins QC/SB with a 8.5 EZ V. Ran great with it,but steering components did wear prematurley. Be heads up for that!

18. cookie

cookie Member

Lol - my 96 1/2 ton Ram without a plow was hard on front end parts!

19. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

Yep '01 3500 is a brute on stock front end parts, DSS steering stabilizer ( may not work with plow harness) and 3rd gen track bar kit helps. Also Moog greasable ball joints help out. All 2nd gen CTD's are hard on front ends, plow or no plow.

20. cookie

cookie Member

The old girl is working well - 7 storms in, lol. Been to busy to take pics, figured i'd post now b4 our next one hits tonite!