1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fish Stik Shuts Off

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Mitragorz, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Mitragorz

Mitragorz Senior Member

My Fish Stik will shut itself off after a few minutes of inactivity. I'll turn it on, lift the plow, and if I go to drop it, I'll find the controller is off. I have to turn it back on to drop the plow. I can't see the controller having some kind of time-out feature, that wouldn't make much sense. So do I need to pop this thing open and check for loose connections?

I'm pretty sure it's an issue with the controller, and not the wiring. I can plug in an old joystick controller and run the plow all day with no issues.

I want to sell the Stik, but not if it's defective.

2. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I've had to replace two Western MVP controllers over the past ten years or so for basically the same issue (they're interchangeable with the Fish Stik - that's actually what I use now). I always carry a spare controller.

You can pop it open, but you may not see anything wrong with it.

3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Safety......the controller will time out after 20 mins. It's clearly stated in the owners manual.

Now if it's timing out before that, I would suspect the controller is starting to fail.

4. Mitragorz

Mitragorz Senior Member

Yeah, I'm talking raising the plow to move the truck across the yard and trying to drop it.

I'll open it up out of curiosity, then maybe sell it cheap. I don't even like the handheld controllers.

5. Mitragorz

Mitragorz Senior Member

The problem was the controller harness. They're must've been a broken wire where the harness comes out of the controller. I'd wiggle it around and the unit would shut off.

Picked up a new harness for $40 and all is right with the world.

6. Don't throw the old one out...all you needed to do was spread the pins slightly on the end that plugs into your fishstick. Mine has been fine since I did that to it....

7. Mitragorz

Mitragorz Senior Member

I'm not sure messing with the pins would have solved it.

If I wiggled the cord here, the controller would shut off.
    Fish Stik.jpg

There must have been a broken wire where the cord comes out of the controller.

8. OK I see what you mean. I misunderstood what you were saying.

9. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I'm on my 3rd fish stick from working intermitted . never had a problem with the simple box mounted on the dash . Is there a problem with them ? I just don't want to be stuck in the middle of a storm with a non working unit again and this started from new .

10. JSutter101

JSutter101 Member

Same thing happened to one of our trucks at work. My boss insisted on buying a whole new controller. I opened it up and sure enough one of the wires broke. I got a new cord and it solved the issue. My boss still bought a spare anyhow.

11. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

It's not a bad idea to have a spare, they just don't seem to fail on sunny days.

12. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

One of the first spare parts I bought was a control. This a part that to date I don't know of any aftermarket options.

13. Randall Ave

When I started I kept a few hoses. Now I have about a 3000.00 plow parts stock with s complete extra plow. When you come across something good and cheap you have to grab it.

14. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

..........Ok, didn't trump say the same thing? Bahahaha had to Randall

15. Randall Ave

I hope some of them looked good when they were younger, cause now:puke:

16. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Hey any port in a storm.