1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

fish stick help!!!

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by plowman_25, Jan 3, 2010.

1. plowman_25

plowman_25 Member

hi all,
    last night i went out to clean up my accounts and everything was working fine....did the first 2 driveways, no problems, pull up to the third and hit the left wing button and it jerks funny, and then the wing goes back...hit the left button and everything goes cazy .....then it tries going up,and it wont, the right wing moved back and it wouldn't do anything...then it lights up super bright and starts smoking....so i unplugged it to try and save it but nothing...now its dead...

any idea what happened? and why it didn't kill the fuse

i have to get another controller now but i want to make sure this isn't going to happen again....since at $340 they are't disposable.

2. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

YIKES! Did you check to see if the fuse that was installed was above the recommended 6 amp (I believe) rating? I'd be interested to see what others think was the culprit...

3. plowman_25

plowman_25 Member

yea everything is right.....it was acting up before this anyways....the plow was "twitching" when i put it in scoop...i was going to take it in monday, but now i really have too

4. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

it is a 7.5 fuse .. but that is crazy bummer .. You can repacle just the board on a stick FYI (lees expensive) unless you melted the plastic.. Regaurdless major bummer.. you must have an intermintent short.. There should be a couple of wires melted.. a good place to check would be at the fire wall maqybe the gromet came loose and cut the wires..(harness)

5. CT-TILEMAN

CT-TILEMAN Member

If you have a ohms meter to check continuity remove the cable from the circuit board and then check each wire from the circuit board connector to the truck connector, if you have no continuity or a shorted wire it could be the problem.

My Xtreme V controller stopped working and the problem was where the cable is reinforced going into the controller the wires had broken causing a dead short.

I cut about 4" of the harness out and re-spliced the wires, verified with an ohms meter that each wire was fixed and reassembled it.

The fuse was blown as well.

6. plowinginma

from MA

+1 on this tip.. At least you can narrow down if that was your only problem.. Unless when it melted it caused the controller to melt the wires together..

7. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

You have just experienced the first rule of electricity, first hand. "Everything electrical runs on smoke. If you let the smoke out, it doesn't work anymore." Although it my be possible to revive that bad boy, I'd recommend simply replacing the unit to avoid possibly frying (letting the smoke out of) something bigger. Make sure the correct fuse is in before you plug the new or repaired one in too.

8. plowinginma

from MA

I should make that a sign and hang it on my shop wall!! LOL

9. plowman_25

plowman_25 Member

it really pisses me off becuase there dosn't seem to be anything that i can find that caued it....i have the right fuse in there and it will still work if i plug it in...well it doesn't work but it tries to make the pump run, but i can't controll it. the worst part is its only a month old...

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I've had one on the wall for 15 years. And it's 100% true. :D

Good chance if it didn't pop the power fuse then it's just the controller that self destructed. Had one melt on the seat before for no reason. Operator left it on float and set the controller down on the seat. Came back 5 minutes later and it was melted to the seat. Checked everything over and deemed there were no other causes for the issue. Replaced the controller with a fresh one and it ran fine from there out.

11. plowman_25

plowman_25 Member

after sitting all day at the dealer while the looked at the plow for hours and burnt out 2 more of the controller boards....they decided that it was the wires that that lead to the board the were bad....replaced it and im good to go

the best part is it was all under warranty so EVERYTHING was free:drinkup:

12. plowinginma

from MA

This was a dealer?? Sad... I wonder if fisher will warranty 2 boards..LOL