1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fish or cut bait.. old trucks

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Willy-D8, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Willy-D8

Willy-D8 Member

When or how do you guys determind to run/maintain two trucks? See I just bought a 95' gmc 2500 to push snow and I still have my 86' k10 that I used previously and I'm not sure if I'll need the k10 as a backup. The k10 needs some work too and I doubt I could get anything for itif i sold it. How should I determind to keep the k10? I only have two small commercial lots and 3 residentials to plow so i won't ever nedd to run two trucks at once. Im pretty sure i'll keep the k10 through the winter but please give me any kind of advise on the matter you can.

2. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Fish! I say you should fish!

3. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

No, cut bait! Definitely cut bait! Wait, which one is which?

Old GM trucks kick butt. Cheaper to fix, easy to work on, and they love to work. Nothing takes a beating like a small block Chevy.

4. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

I keep saying I am going to part with several of our older (77,78.79,86) GM trucks and buy 2 newer ones but can't justify it. The older trucks are easier to work on and the newer ones keep breaking too. Just replaced the brakes front and rear, one hub bearing assembly, an alternator, and leaky exhaust manifold gasket on a 2003 2500HD. I bought the truck used, and I am finding out it was totally beat. Maybe a carfax with a follow up letter from my attorney if my findings are what I suspect (45k miles I don't think so). My point is this: Brakes all around for the 03 with my labor at no cost nearly $500. BRakes all around for older GM probably half that. No sensors on the older ones.

Bottom line is this: They just don't build them like they used to. Ford, Chevy, Dodge. . . I don't care which, they are all more susceptible to breakdowns from the cheaper parts and more elaborate electrical systems, but they just cost more to buy the parts. Keep the ol' girl even if just for the memories.