1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fischer / Western Poly Caster chain seized up..

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by jlouki01, Dec 18, 2011.

1. jlouki01

jlouki01 Senior Member

Any advice on how to loosen a chain up without spending 500.00 on a new one?

It's not broken it does move freely on some links but overall it's pretty seized up.
  2. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

It tells you how in your sig. OIL
  3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Pbblaster and a hammer

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I would just go buy a new chain. I have a spare and I swear it was about $30. They will cut it to length and give you an link to connect it togeather.

loosen your motor and it will slide in a bit then you can take it off, wash it in gas, and then soak it in a pail of used oil, tranny fluid or hyrdro fluid. it will loosed up

on edit I think you were talking about the drive chain, not the drag chain on the new poly casters.
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Seafoam/Deep Creep, PB Blaster, ATF.

After it's loose, Fluid Film.
  6. jlouki01

jlouki01 Senior Member

we took it off and are hammering and oiling..
  7. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Ok. Good deal. Lotta work, but you won't have to do it again. And deff fluid film it
  8. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

You talking about a spreader Every Spring I remove my chain andset in a bucket of oil
    First yr having V box I learned all the washing doesnt help Mine was lock up I ended up removing it and working by hand to loosen it up and re install the chain
    After the first yr I started to remove the chain every spring let it soak in oil all summer long
  9. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Heard a trick I haven't tried yet.

50/50 ATF fluid and Turpentine. A farmer told me about it and said that he's had never had any penatrant or breaker work even close as well as that concoction.