1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

first yr

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by bru z71, Nov 24, 2009.

1. bru z71

bru z71 Senior Member

ok so its my first yr i have done just about all my prep work for my truck one or two last things left to be done that i am doin this weekend. i have 4 drive ways for my self and i will be working for a sub contracter for 65 a hr its my first yr and i am a little nervous any last min tips other then dont **** it up lol ussmileyflag

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2009
  2. bru z71

bru z71 Senior Member

i will be doing commerical parking lots for this guy

3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

You pretty much said it all in your last few words. When in doubt ask question's. I tell all my guys who either work for us or sub from us, "if your not sure just ask!" saves you and the guy your subbing for a lot of headache's.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Make sure you ask the general how he expects it to be done in terms of where to push, how high to stack etc.

What do you have for a truck and plow?

5. bru z71

bru z71 Senior Member

ya i am meeting with him tomorrow he has all the steaks already up hes gunna show me where he wants it. i have a 2005 silverado 1500 7 and 1/2 hd fisher

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Have you put in synthetic ATF and a big tranny cooler?

7. bru z71

bru z71 Senior Member

yes i have i put a 24 inch frame mounted tranny cooler and i put a tranny gauge in

8. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

Drive slow, plow slow, keep track of your environment. If something doesn't feel right.... stop... get out of your truck and look around. Plow knowing that no one will be looking out for you and you have to look out for everyone. They will walk behind you , run behind you , drive behind you... light poles will move behind you when you're not looking.
    You'll eventually get overwhelmed by a storm. Chill out and keep pushing snow. It's all you can do.
    Have fun and good luck with your first year.

9. bru z71

bru z71 Senior Member

thank you sir

10. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

watch out for them fiesty curbs:gunsfiring:

11. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Don't forget light poles move around during the night.

12. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Trees and cars, too. Especially those trees:realmad:.

13. devil_dog_1984

devil_dog_1984 Junior Member

When you get a phone call when your plowing STOP talk to wife, girlfriend, boss whoever it is. Last year I was backing up into a tight place my wife called I was already pissed off at her and then a light post jumped out of no where and I crushed my back bumper with it. I had to let my wife go and look at the damage it wasn't to bad but I learned from my mistake and stop the truck when I'm on the phone. Plus lock up your stuff or put it in your garage because people steal. One other hard lesson I had to learn the hard way. Good luck this year and have fun. ussmileyflag

14. bru z71

bru z71 Senior Member

no other tips

no other tips

15. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

good luck!

16. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Make sure to mark all obstacles - curbs, ditches and dropoffs. Go slow till you're familiar with the site and THINK.

17. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

When you think you know how to plow.....you will be wrong
    Something new to learn almost every time you plow (unless your GV and he knows it ALL).....lol

18. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Even from Hawaii I can still keep my skills up and help you guys out ,we do get snow now and then.

[​IMG]

19. bru z71

bru z71 Senior Member

had a blast the other night cant wait to do it again

20. CaptainSmokey

CaptainSmokey Senior Member

make sure to keep extra washer fluid with you at all times . trust me i have ran out many of nights in the past. eevn if its full bring a few extra gallons with you