1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First year

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jq., Jan 20, 2005.

1. jq.

jq. Junior Member

This is my first year plowing for myself and have 15 of my landscape customers for snow removal.7 of the fifteen paid for the season up front.Know my question is(8 remaining that want to be charged per storm)if I have to plow there driveways more then once per storm should they be billed the same price each time .I'm watching the weather and it looks like i'm going to go out at least twice before it's all over.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2005
  2. dforbes

dforbes Senior Member

We bill for each stop. everytime we are there seperate charge.Don't take advantage by showing up to often. on most properties we plow after every 2 inches per agreement.

3. jq.

jq. Junior Member

they are calling for 10+ inches of snow starting on sat morning.I planned on going out after about 6 inches falls, then again when it's done.Does that sound right or should I start sooner?Later?I'm not used to larger snowstorms.

4. IndySnowPlow

IndySnowPlow Senior Member
    from Indiana

jq......Just give them an hourly rate. So that if you spend a total of 2hrs during the next storm it easy to figure the charges for you and the customer. Then if you want to once you figure out how long it takes to service the customers property you could come up with a "per push" figure.

5. Ian03

Ian03 Senior Member

Actually, never put how much you charge an hour. It would sound like an unreasonable amount of money when most of the home owners consider us the hired help. I would do just as you said, hit the houses after about 6 inches and do it again after the last flake falls.

On something like this where you are unsure explain it to them and ask them individually what they want. You may have to juggle your route according to your answers but it will give them all the feeling you are working for them and not just milking them for every buck you can.

Sounds like you are on the right track though, good luck with it.

6. Ken1zk

Ken1zk Senior Member

For "Per Push Customers" I use a scale according to the storm total, I only have a few resi customers who are not seasonal and all commercial I do is per push.
    I have set the priced up front in the contract for the storm total. For each additional increment I add 50% of the base price. Also I start when we hit the trigger, if a customer has a 3 inch trigger they may not be happy with you showing up when they have 7 or 8 inches in the driveway, which will happen in a big storm if you start plowing at 6 inches.
    Here's an example.
    3-6" = $30.00 6-12" = $45.00 12-16" = $60.00 Over 16" = $75.00 +

Hope this helps, welcome to the biz :waving:
    Ken

7. Boutallnite

Boutallnite Senior Member

I charge per 24 hour period. Some customers already told me to wait till it ends on Sunday, so I don't bill them twice. Otherwise I will try to do 6" on Saturday and the rest on Sunday and bill twice. IF WE GET ANYTHING AT ALL, the way this season has been going.

8. jq.

jq. Junior Member

Thanks to everyone for your help! I'll see how this goes sat.Thanks again. :waving: