1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

first year

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by tru cut, Feb 28, 2000.

1. tru cut

tru cut PlowSite.com Veteran

this is my first year plowing.so far so good.i had set a goal for whaat i though i could i could make and ihave reached it .ihave had no major brake downs,blow 2 hydo hoses one night,thay were gitting pinched beteween the a frame and the head gear rerouted them and tied then together.moving snow one morn.4am waiting for my sub to show W/bucket & truck i was blading some snow from beteween a fence & curbing ran over a piece of rerod that holds the curb ,put a hole the size of my fist in the side wall.make sure you take your weels off befor the season and put some neversize on back of rim my was froze had to beat it off w/5lb hammer,not fun when 30below.i'm not a morring person but 1, learned to get up at 1am easy money!!<br>2, you cant smoke&plow at the same time<br>3, the best coffe cup is a john deere,chad little,it has a push lever top that can't spill<br>4, some people you can never please!!<br>5, always ck eqp.when you get done<br>6, when adding new eqp.make sure it done right,over engeneer not under(thanks geoff)<br>7, take the time do the job right &quot;quality first&quot;<br>thing i didnt learn<br>1, how do you git rid of the kink in you neek after 3 days of plowing<br>2, how to git rid of hemroides hanging out of your -ss like icecicles after 3days of plowing<br>3, how to get everyone to pay on time!!<p>for never running a plow befor i thought i have done a good job. all my costermers have said i have done a lot better than the guy i took over from &quot;quality first&quot;<p>thanks to everyone on the fourm for all the info,its been a big help!!<p>----------<br>Todd <br>

2. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

<p>You wrote:<p>thing i didnt learn<br>1, how do you git rid of the kink in you neek after 3 days of plowing<br>2, how to git rid of hemroides hanging out of your -ss like icecicles after 3days of plowing<br>3, how to get everyone to pay on time!!<p>1, small asian woman to walk on your back;)<br>2, lots of salad, no taco bell for a week<br>3, put the late payers last on your route; most folks are smart enough to figure what that means.<p>Dont worry next season will bring up answers to questions you didnt know you had!!!<p>(Actually its not over yet; tho Ill start cleanups mid-March, I wont pack the plow away til I mow the first lawn. Last couple years weve seen 6-12 inches of snow end of March, early April, 1982 saw two feet of snow April 8th)<p>Bill

3. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

One thing we leanred.<p>The snowpusher is worth every penny. And when used with a blade a truck is no longer needed at the lot except to sand.<p>Don't attempt to plow a driveway with an F 650, i got lazy going home one night.<p>Still all of march before mainer consider the snow season done.<p>Geoff

4. cutntrim

cutntrim PlowSite.com - Veteran

Something I've learned over the past 8 years...the snow season doesn't end in February. &quot;In like a lion, and out like a lamb...here comes March&quot;.<p>----------<br>Dave in S.Ontario<br>

5. RON PRIES

RON PRIES Junior Member

TRU cut<br>Looks like you learned more than you thought you would, keep up the good work you will grow from here on.<br>Started my self at age 19 1 truck up to 12 and still growing 26 years later.