1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

first year with a plow - want to make a little $$$

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by m2low, Sep 22, 2008.

1. m2low

m2low Member

I have a 1990 suburban, and with the help on this site got my plow setup, its a meyer 7'5" blade with power angle but no pressure down. the suburban is in overall good shape, some typical rust, but thats why its not a baby, its a work truck. I just got all the wiring in place and really have only thought about the plow so far. questions are....

is there anything else I will need to prep it for plowing? 1990 suburban with the heavy suspension - also just had to replace the water pump, so thats new and cooling works great once again. 100,000 miles on the 350 motor.

will I need to have extra insurance? can I get this through my local agent, and what would I have to ask for?

what kind of other safety things will I need like an orange light etc?

would it be better to stick with small lots, or just residential driveways?

I'm in sioux falls south dakota, what kind of rates are the going rate? hourly for lots and a price for residential drive?

what do you have to have, show or present to customers when starting out?

all the good stuff woudl be appreciated for someone who is new to this, and just wants to make his truck earn its keep with the economy the way its going.

2. headviking

headviking Junior Member

I'me in the same boat...just a newer truck without a plow..but still thinking the same way.

Headviking

3. scitown

scitown Senior Member

Do yourselves a favor and use the search function on the top of the page. This entire site answers all of those questions. Good luck and welcome to plow site!

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I 2nd scitown's advice. Grap either a cup of coffee or your favorite beverage and start READING. Then read some more. Your questions have been asked and answered many many times.