1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First year to plow....need some help....

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by KSlandscaper, Jul 12, 2006.

1. KSlandscaper

KSlandscaper Member
    from Kansas

This will be my first year plowing and want a few smaller commercial accounts. (I don't want to be overwhelmed!)

I'm currently re-furbishing a Meyer ST-90 plow (new paint, rams, springs, etc, etc). Currently this plow is set-up for my 94 Chevy K-2500. I'm hoping to equip my other truck, a 97 Chevy K-1500, to handle the plow for back-up purposes....but used parts are far and few between this time of year.....

I'm wanting to offer both snow removal and ice treatment services to smaller lots, such as restaurants. I've spoken to a local snow jock here and he said most companies charge per push.....he even went as fare to tell me how much he gets at certain places!! (bout $65 per push for a small burger joints lot). His price seems about right considering I worked for the largest snow removal company a few winters back and they charged a $45 minimum/ $65 hourly rate. This is probably fairly low to a lot of you guys!! Since we normally don't get heavy snowfalls I'll most likely run with the per-push pricing model.

I plan on recruiting some plowing accounts here shortly.....so here are my questions:

-Do you operate with contracts for per push/ per snow services? Or is no contract really necessary?? (If someone would be so kind, I would like to view a sample contract regardless if I'd really need one or not - PM me and I can provide an email to send it to)

-How do you charge for salting? What type of salt is both effective, safe, and cost-efficient for use in lots? On residential drives I fairly pickly about the salt I use....but I know using high-priced salts on lots isn't even possible.
  2. KSlandscaper

KSlandscaper Member
    from Kansas

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

try searching these topics on the site. The info has been covered many times.
  4. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

we don't use contracts. everything is done verbally. sometimes we provide formal bids that act as a written contract if the bid is accepted. as for salt we use rock salt mixed (in a cement truck or fertilizer mixer) with sugar beet. runs about $120 a ton delivered. usually charge $100 per hour to apply salt plus material used. sometimes i just make up a price if i need to come out ahead more.
  5. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees Member

We are looking for sidewalk work.