1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First year snow plowing

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by jonnywong, Sep 16, 2009.

1. jonnywong

jonnywong Member

Alright, sorry if this is really beaten the horse here, but i need some general advice on dos and donts for a first timer trying to make some money this winter.

Im going to be doing mostly residential, maybe small commercial. I got a '01 f350 with a curtis snopro 3000. ( 6' )

What kind of increments in triggers do most people use?

Like 2-4, 4-6, 6-8, 8+

And per push is the way to go for a noob?

And how do you change the pricing per trigger.

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

DOs: USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION
    DONTs: ASK QUESTIONS LIKE THESE UNTIL YOU HAVE USED THE SEARCH FUNCTION AND READ OVER 100 THREADS THAT HAVE ANSWERS TO ALL YOUR QUESTIONS.
    Good Luck
    WLECOME TO PLOWSITE

3. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Buy a new plow or put some wings on that 6 footer of yours.

4. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

Are you two related?

jonnywong
    JohnnyRoyale

Seriously though, one of the perks of being a member is that you're allowed to SEARCH the forums. This exact set of questions has been asked and answered, THIS pre-season alone, about 5 times.

So I guess I should say Welcome! You 'll find some great knowledge and some awesome people here!

You'll have a lot more questions after you search, just more personal and detailed ones. Detailed questions that these guys will be happy to answer for you, For example, you may wonder why most of us own thousands of dollars in machinery, but work for beer money, and you'll find out why by searching. Heck, I searched and read the site, off and on for two years before I decided to get started.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  5. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

No won ton soup for you!

6. jonnywong

jonnywong Member

well ok, i searched and I still have some more questions.

I see some people just take the average snowfall they get each year and divide that by the trigger (2 for most) and then divide that by 2 and then multiply by your price per push ($25 for me) so what i've got so far is

(60" average/2) /2 *25 = $375 for the season.
    This seem reasonable?
    The reason im asking about seasonal is because thats the way some people have asked me to do it.

oh yeah anyone from albany, ny area wanna chime in on their rates that would be great!!

7. Sabsan84

Sabsan84 Senior Member

THis seems like a very helpful Thread :),lol...its like pulling teeth asking questions, haha...GOod Luck Jonny

8. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Jonny,

One thing your won't be able to find is rates... what you have to do is figure the amount of TIME you will be at the site for the season and multiple that figure by YOUR rate... good luck...labor rates are all over the place

9. jonnywong

jonnywong Member

yea, im just tryin to figure out the competition

10. 2002F350

2002F350 Junior Member
    from Mass

When you do let me know! haha. Good luck

11. pro50guy

pro50guy Junior Member

this will also be my first year plowing for cash as well. no payment on the truck 93 f 350 diesel 9 foot fisher, so im hoping for not much overhead and to make money by offering cheap rates. keep on your research this is a great site. im in saratoga county so let me know how you make out

12. Burkartsplow

Those CHEAP RATES you are going to offer can come back and bite you in the end. One major breakdown and there goes all your cheap rates money. You need to be competitive to make it in this business. The thing with bids is if you get all your bids you are too cheap and leaving money on the table in most cases when it comes to new clients. So why charge less because you have equipment paid off. I buy a new truck and in 4 years I am going to charge less for that truck since it is paid off now. That is ridiculous thinking. Good Luck with you cheap rates.

13. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

Not to mention those "cheap rates" not only hurt you but they hurt everyone else in the industry. This is going to be my fourth year and I have seen prices drop by $10 per hour around here. There are too many guys that come in with equipment that is not up to the task or that may be paid off and they lowball the heck out of people.

It is one thing to be priced competitively, but to just be a lowballer is the worst. I can stop paying insurance and workmans comp and go out there and work a truck for $20 an hour if I wanted to but I wont have anything to show for it. I would rather sit on a beach and go broke versus doing it plowing snow.

14. pro50guy

pro50guy Junior Member

WOW somtimes i think you guys are great, other times your like pitbulls. i will probably be plowing for my niebors that either shovel or snowblow and wouldn't be taking bids anyway. im not starting a buisness, I got laid off at the begining of summer so im just lookin for a little extra cash. im not trying to lowball anybody or take food of anybodys plate. as always thanks for your input

15. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Dude, SPELL CHECK!!

16. Burkartsplow

Well you made it sound like you were going out and lowballing to make a buck, But one question, are you going to get insurance for snow plowing or just do it on the side like you are talking. I mean they are your neighbors, but if something went wrong they are going to blame you in most cases. unless they sign a waiver for you to do the work.

17. pro50guy

pro50guy Junior Member

im still in the air on the plowing insurance, the people i will be plowing for iv'e known for years. i would make good on any damage, and thats evan if they cared. i may still get it though, how much more is it and can you get it without a tax number? thanks for letting me know about the spelling Dude, im sure my punctuation is bad as well, good looking out though

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009