1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First year plowing

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by cameron2171, Dec 15, 2009.

1. cameron2171

cameron2171 Senior Member

I am 16 years old and i just got a truck about a month ago it is a 97 chevy 2500 single cab long bed with a 8 ft fisher mm plow and this is my first year plowing, i have only plowed my drive way and one other because everyone else has already hired some one and i guess i got it too late but maybe next year. any way i have tried it out on my drive way it is pretty fun but i definatly need alot more practise. any sugestions or ideas??

2. plowindiesel

plowindiesel Senior Member

read, read, read and when you think you have seen enough read some more. there are guys on this site that have been doing this for longer than you have been alive and then some. ask questions and dont get discouraged if there is a little sarcasm thrown into a response. best of luck to you! great to see that not everyone your age is sitting at home with an xbox controller in their hand

3. cameron2171

thank you! yea i have been reading alot on this website it is awsome i am glad that i found it it helps alot and has answered alot of my questions, any one on here from northern NH?

4. ProLawn Outdoor

ProLawn Outdoor Senior Member

Congrats on your truck, I am in pretty much the same situation as you. I only do about 8-10 driveways because I didn't know how to plow before this winter. I might try and add a few more mid seasons now that I kind of got the hang of it. It is fun and I am really enjoying it also, It's a lot easier than lawn and landscape work which I do in the summer. The only advice I feel I can give you is watch other plow guys. Maybe see if you could ride along with an experienced guy or something. I learned a lot from watching other people. Try doing some drives for family and friends, great way to get experience. Good luck, and lets see some pics of the truck! I might start a teen thread in the picture forum so watch for that. I'm from NH, Exeter to be exact. However I moved to MN 7 yrs ago. You guys get some decent snow up there right??

5. bru z71

bru z71 Senior Member

ya

i am on the same boat its my first year i work for a sub and do parking lots and i got 4 drive ways to my self thats plenty for me thow i have a reg full time job

6. cameron2171

Yea dude thats cool and yea good idea to watch people plow, thats cool my uncle actually lives in exeter nh and yea we got one 8 foot storm and like 3 3 inch storms, thanks for the suport guys and ill try to put pics up if i can figure it out

7. cameron2171

i couldnt figure out how to get a pic on here from my pictures it only says put url, my avatar pic had the option to get it from my pics

8. WRIGHTWAY

WRIGHTWAY Senior Member

Very cool by the time you hit college you should have plenty of work to pay your own way :D

And its never to late to get jobs post some flyers around town you’ll at least get some on call jobs out of it but make sure to ask wear things are under the snow !! :realmad:

9. cameron2171

haha yea i think it would be pretty cool to have a tree and fire wood busines in the summer and tehn plow in the winter and get a bob cat for pushing snow at parking lots and also for landscaping in the sumer and get a small one axel dump truck

10. cameron2171

11. cpsnowremoval

cpsnowremoval Senior Member

im planning on driving dump trucks in the summer and having my own snow removal biz in the winter

12. cameron2171

i cant figure out how to put pictures up

13. cameron2171

thats awsome

14. Tosa93F250

Tosa93F250 Member

Try using a website like ImageShack to upload the picture and maybe resize it if it's really big. Once you finish uploading it you will get a link that you can use to post it here.

To post it here paste the link and surround it with IMG tags like this:

[​IMG]

Welcome to Plowsite by the way. I'm 19 and this is my first winter plowing also.

15. cameron2171

ok thanks ill try it and good luck plowing

16. cameron2171

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

17. cameron2171

18. cameron2171

19. cameron2171

there we go!!! finally

20. Jaynen

Jaynen Senior Member

I had a hard time doing residential my first time out this year, but then I did a parking lot and kinda got the hang of it. Parking lots are the place to learn.