1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First year plowing

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by darood01, Nov 19, 2009.

1. darood01

darood01 Member
    from GR, MI

All my accounts are driveways in a historical neighborhood which means narrow driveways. Wondering if I should buy a back up truck.....if the price is right?
    I have the ability to buy a 99 dodge dakota with a western 7'6'' plow that has minimal rust on the plow and 90,000 miles on the truck. The truck has been meticulously taken care of, I know the owner.
  2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If it's a great buy and you have the money to buy it and you need it then go for it. Peace of mind is worth something.
  3. snow tender

snow tender Senior Member

You would have to figure out how many acct. you have and would it be cost effective. Cost/Profit you may plow all season just to get even but have a truck free and clear at the end.
  4. jimspro

jimspro Senior Member

I would get it, having a back up is good, but by having a second truck, will allow you to expand, around here when we get dumped on with a big storm, we always get calls to add accounts, and by having the other truck will let you grow, just need to have a driver available to drive it, good luck
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

buy it...you can sell it if needed later
  6. asps4u

asps4u Senior Member

I second that. I don't see how you can go wrong
  7. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I wouldnt plow with out a back up truck, If my primary truck fails, i can still get my accounts done. Its always good to have a sub lined up too, just in case. Winters and lake effect can hit us hard here in west mi.

JKMATHIEU Junior Member

Dont spend $ on anything you dont NEED! Get a good sub for backup until you can afford luxuries like "backup" equipment.....They make iron every day! Good luck
  9. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Agreed, If you cant pay cash for it, dont get itpayup
  10. happydays

happydays Junior Member

Buy it, if you can afford it,you need a back up.I have one,when we have a ton of snow I have a guy who I use to help out.