1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First year plowing

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by hoax23, Nov 26, 2005.

1. hoax23

hoax23 Junior Member

This is going to be my first year plowing and im going to be working as a sub-contractor. Just wondering on how much money per hour I should be getting. It is around 37,000 square feet lot. I wil also be salting. Thanks
  2. zsqure

zsqure Junior Member

do you mean this wasn't discussed? I have heard of prices ranging from 45 to 75 per hour, you might want to find that information out, I get many subs in my area for 40- 45 per hour. Don't take this the wrong way, they all claim to be good but when it comes down to it, BIGGER is always better and you can't beat Experience. Maybe they want to see how quickly you plow the lot before they commit to an hourly fee.
  3. hoax23

hoax23 Junior Member

I wont commit to doing it with a agreed hourly rate. nothing has been signed yet, but I was just wondering on average what i should be getting a hour. with me being new to this im afraid i will under estimate on hours. How long would that take to push with about 3" on the ground and really no obstacles.
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2005
  4. dodgerocks

dodgerocks Junior Member

That lot with little or no obsicles should take you less than an hour to plow 3 inches. Around here we get 50$-60$ per hour for subs but you better be moving.
  5. nekos

nekos Senior Member

don't sub for less then $50 an hour. thats about as low as you can go and still pay for your equipment , maintenance , insurance , gas and have a few $$$'s left over for yourself. oh i almost forgot about uncle sam !!!

i do have one question , why are you asking about how long that lot would take ? if you sub contract you should be getting paid the same no matter what you are plowing !

one other thing , alot of company's don't pay you for drive time to and from account's. if this is the case find some one else to sub for !
    im not trying to take a shot at the company's that do this , but they are usually small outfit's that don't have to many account's.
    < and useally the account's you don't wan't to plow ! >

anyway , GL your first year out. you will have a blast !!! :)
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2005
  6. MisterIceMan

MisterIceMan Junior Member

You'll only be doing that 37k lot ?
    I would charge per pass if I could and do away with the hourly rate. $60 per pass. But I'm new at this too. :cool:
    Make sure you take pictures of the lot or make notes on its layout so you know where the pavement's good and where it is not.