1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First Year Plowing

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by SlamaNow, Oct 20, 2014.

1. SlamaNow

SlamaNow Member

Hello guys,

This is my first year plowing snow, I am in Cambridge Ontario.

I Started up my own little company towards the middle of September and began advertising. I have a chev 2500 with a fisher 8.5" v plow. Both are maintained and tuned up for this coming season and I have a service contract set up with my mechanic and he is keeping spare parts and will be on call if need be.

I am a little nervous because I feel as though I got in the game too late in the year and I do not have any contracts yet. I have been toying with the Idea of subbing out for this year and just taking it as a learning experience.

so questions. Is it too late to get contracts now? How do I go about offering my services to other snow contractors?

Any help or advice would be appreciated. I cant wait to go out and get the plow down.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Look for ads, call other landscape places or other companies and see if they are hiring subs.
    So you have never plowed at all before?

3. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

it's never too late, I have picked up contracts in December.
    Your best bet is to drive around and knock on doors at places to see if they are taking bids.
    If they are submit one.
    Good luck

4. SlamaNow

SlamaNow Member

How should I be quoting on the bids?

Just make up a standard sheet and fill it out by hand?

Also, what should be included?

I can wright up a contract no problem but Im not sure on the bid side of things.

5. MSsnowplowing

this is what I use. just fill in the blanks.

also search the site I'm sure there are other bid proposals in different formats that people have posted.

Also I print that out on one piece of paper, two sided, so per push is on one side and seasonal is on the other.

I carry at least 8 with me at all times. Mind you this is for commercial.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  6. Fannin76

Fannin76 Senior Member

that looks pretty good

7. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

I like that also. But where it said
    " if accepted a formal contract will be presented", what's the difference between the two in writing? What do you change up or do you have a example?

8. MSsnowplowing

The formal contract has the legal lang. in it and spells out exactly what we do, where we do it, payments etc...

Here you go an example of my formal contract.

In the blank there are nine pages, but exhibit B there is two of them, one for per storm and one for seasonal.

If they take the per storm, I delete the seasonal part and vice versa so it ends up being eight pages.

Some people like it, some don't -(here on the site, never had a problem with my clients)

I believe in covering my bases and as I have learned over the years;

"If it's not in writing it doesn't exist in the eyes of the law"

Attached Files:

9. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

Yeah it looks like the formal has everything covered. When you submit the bid or formal contract to be signed do you try to drop them off in person or fax them?

10. MSsnowplowing

Depends, if I get a email or fax #, I try to wait and type it up at home then email or fax it.
    And sometimes I just fill in the blanks and give it to them in person right there on the spot after looking at the property.

With the formal contract I prefer to email it and then I follow up with the phone call the day after I sent it making sure they got it.

11. SlamaNow

SlamaNow Member

Im looking at your tender sheet, when you say plowing at a certain mark, lets say 2-3.9" does that mean that if it snows 7" you would come by twice and bill him for 2 visits?

12. MSsnowplowing

Depends on the trigger,
    That is set up for a 3 inch trigger, so yes we would come twice, at 3" and then at storm end. I would charge the 4-6.9 price.
    If it was a 8" we would have come at the 3, 6, and storm end and charge the 7-9.9 rate.

If you set it up as a 2" trigger it would be as follows:

2 -$
    3-4.9 - $
    5-6.9 - $
    7-8.9 - $

and so on. Then if we got a 7" storm I would still charge him for the 5-6.9 but the price would be a little more than the 3" inch trigger because we would have been there at 2", 4", storm end.

I could on either the 2" or 3" trigger come at the 6" mark and plow and then come to finish up the 1" remaining and charge for that, but I don't do that. I just wait and finish it up and give them that little bit -(makes the client happy to get a little off the price)

My pricing is a bit different.
    I start out with a rate that would clear the entire lot.
    Let's say just plowing, and it takes 2 hours to clear the entire lot but it only takes 1 hour to clear the lanes.
    I would say charge $300 dollars. That's the base. $150 to clear the lanes, $150 to clear the rest.

So it would be this:

2”-3.9” storm $300.00

4”-6.9” storm $450.00

7”-9.9” storm $600.00

10”-12.9” storm $750.00

From 13 to 18.9 inches there will be an additional cost of $200.00 every 1-3.9 inches
    For over 18.9 inches there will be additional cost of $400.00 every 1-3.9 inches

Since I'm not plowing the whole lot and just clearing lanes and keeping them open for tenants, customers, emergency vech. etc... that is how I get my every 3" price.
    Anything over 13" I add $50 to the clearing costs and then double that price for anything over 18"

Now that works for me in my area, MIGHT NOT WORK FOR YOU IN YOUR AREAS.

I'm just giving you examples of what I do and the format I use for charging.

And this is for Commercial property's not residential's.

Like I said, search the site, everyone has different methods, different bid proposals, different contracts, find what you like and who says you have to use just one.
    Take what you like from them all and make your own.

Thumbs Up

13. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

What if you bring in different skids or loaders with different size attachments, at different times to help out. How would you put that into the bid or contract if they are not dedicated to that lot?

14. MSsnowplowing

I don't have any loaders just a skidsteer, I go by industry standard for pricing if it is needed.

15. cdmckane

cdmckane Member

My contracts state that the customer will be billed for the cost of rental of any equipment that I don't own, plus fuel and $100/hr for labor to run said equipment.

16. SlamaNow

SlamaNow Member

I'm confused. I landed one contract on Friday and the lady was in love with my pricing, Says I was 1/5th the cost of the closest guy. I bid on a 25% profit margin and am very confident that I am offering a good price. Now today another lady is telling me I am way too high. I did the math on the number she gave me an I cant touch it. It is almost exactly 25% lower than my quote.

Is this a common thing?

17. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

The people that have money usually understand the value of things and some people are just tightwads.