1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First year plowing commercial

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by N&CLandscaping, Nov 22, 2008.

1. N&CLandscaping

N&CLandscaping Senior Member
    from Medford

Hey guys, I really have not posted much on this site but have been a member for awhile. I finally got into plowing big time, and I mean big. I won a bid for a Hampton Inn hotel and a small condo property. Has anyone on here ever plowed for a hotel? I was told its going to be a pain in the a$$ to do. Its about 50 thousand sq. ft. Thats my largest account, I have about 30 other residential driveways. Any thing would help ussmileyflag

2. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

What are you using for equipment?

3. Mysticlandscape

Mysticlandscape Senior Member

Ok I will say it first, If its your first year an you already got a hotel, condo, an 30 residentual driveways my guess is that your a one truck operation judging by lawnsite. Sounds like your gunna be over your head but thats just my guess till you tell us more..

4. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Shovel and a ATV, and he is thinking about picking up all the Targets in the area :)

Just kidding.....

5. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Your lining yourself up for one hell of a winter, if you are a single man operation make sure that you have someone that can back you up in the event you breakdown or fall behind.

Good Luck..........

6. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

sub the resis out,

make sure the hotel and condo's stay clean.

7. dirtmandan2

dirtmandan2 Senior Member

I do 3 hotels and they would be fine if it werent for cars, plow around them as well as you can then go back to clean up later on, id call that a pita however they pay accordingly... now if you do only have 1 truck I would either find a sub or another truck asap, your going to need it... big snowfall that 50k is going to take you a few hours...

8. jlouki01

jlouki01 Senior Member

I would get some help on the 30 driveways and keep the commercials clean. I found even attempting residential and commercial at the same time doesn't work.

Don't sweat it to much residential can be quite impatient during a snow storm:)

I would find someone though who might be interested in making a buck helping with the residential customers.

9. Farm Boss

Farm Boss Senior Member

This is exactly what I was thinking!!!!! You can't be both places at once, something I learned and quickly adjusted for! Get a good game plan.

10. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Same thought. The hotel needs to be plowed at least twice ea. time .As for the driveways they come and go you can always pick up new ones.

11. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

Have 3 hotels and hunting a fourth, (probably next year though)

One word Bobcat

We have the baby 463 9 feet long 4 feet wide with a snowblower. It travels on a SRW flatdeck pick-up plowtruck. Been doing that since '94. We are now on the second generation of equipment. Have ended up with a number of 7/24 lots, never empty, never full. Bobcat takes single slot, part slots, and sidewalks. The current crew have been together for 5 years and have it down to an art form. The hotels love 'em. They move hard and fast, on the other hand the hardware is worth about $90,000, ready to go

12. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

we do a couple of hotels

we try to get as much of the lot as we can before about 6 am and then come back between noon and 2 when the lot is as empty as it is going to be and finish

i like doing hotels because of the daytime work

13. N&CLandscaping

N&CLandscaping Senior Member
    from Medford

Thanks guys for the feedback. For some reason my User CP is not working so I have to dig out the threads I started to respond. I have my Truck 2006 F250 w/ 9 foot MM Plow, and my buddy has a F250 with an 8.6 MM plow. As far as backup goes, I am coverd lol. Im friends with the "Snow Guys" John R. Elicone and Associates in Waltham and a few other companies in my area. I know im in over my head, but ill give it all a shot and we will see what happens.

14. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

A bobcat would help you keep those contracts for longer than this season. Rent if you have to.