1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First Year Owner here

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Mikesnowremoval, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Mikesnowremoval

Mikesnowremoval Junior Member

Hi everyone, The name is mike. I have decided to go on my own this year and start my own plow business. I have worked for the last 7 years for a larger company but wanted to run my own. So here I am, just picked up a truck and plow and im ready to hit the ground running this season. I have already secured a rather large contract which includes about 100 houses. I am just looking for any tips or advice you guys can give me about starting out on my own. Thanks

2. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

One truck and a plow, and about 100 houses? I'm gonna suggest a back up plan.

3. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

A single contract, for 100 houses ? Subbing for someone else ?

Just curious

4. Mikesnowremoval

Yes I am subbing for a larger company

5. Mikesnowremoval

I do have a back up truck available to me if needed.

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

EMT on site?

7. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Besides a back up rig look into a back blade / pull plow.
    hope it's a tight route and not much shoveling unless you have a shovel guy/crew.

8. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

I hope they are small driveways on a tight route with no shoveling.

9. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

What is your estimated time for your route, start to finish?

10. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

5 an hour is 20hrs for one round, doesn't leave any down time when it's a all day or multi day storm.

11. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Put the other truck on your going to need it. Your committed to the 100 drives. Cut it down to 10 hours. That's a good days work in a plow truck. Even a camel stops for water.

12. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

100 houses in 1 neighborhood, a few hours worth of work, unless they're all more than a couple hundred feet long.

13. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

If you're only on each property for 5 minutes and there is zero travel time, thats still over 8 hours

14. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

When properly equipped, a scenario like what you descried screams for a tractor and inverted blower or Back Blade on a pickup with a plow at a minimum.

15. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I can't comment on how long it would take based on residential experience but seems to me 100 drives would take A LONG time even if they were all next to each other. I would recommend a spare 4L80 on the shelf waiting.

16. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

I don't own a inverted blower or ran one. I have watched some videos of them in action. For residential drive they appear to be what I would want. Worthy investment. I do have a daniels back blade never impressed me much.

17. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I watched some too, I am now a blower expert.

18. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

Ok Fellas...Let's get back on track

Fred..100 houses in the same neighborhood is Very doable with the right equipment..Check out an Ebling..Plenty of videos out there..Tractor Blower combo would be perfect but that's a big investment..Ebling with a powerplow on the right truck will knock those out no problem

19. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Seems the word of the week is backplow.

Start at 10pm, finish at 6am. Tell them to park the vehicles in the garage or on the grass. Also tell em on garbage days wait till your done to put the cans out. Suspend newspaper delivery on snow nights.

20. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

time for those disrupting the thread to move along