1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First Year out in central illinois...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by CoxFamilyTree, Dec 11, 2014.

1. CoxFamilyTree

CoxFamilyTree Junior Member

Just wanted to introduce myself briefly, I used this site years ago to learn a bit about the business. I had an old 3/4 4x4 chevy that we played with over at the Badlands offroad park. I had a front plow and a rear mount that I was going to use with it to dig myself out in the country and do a few neighbors. No big deal. Never did get it together, lost the motor on a badlands trip, moved and no longer had need of it all and sold it off.

Anyway, I've been an arborist since '06 full time, and an owner/operator of my tree service since '09. Last winter was the first that I really struggled to get to the jobs I had on the books because of the snow fall we had. This year is supposed to be pretty bad too, but who knows.

I toyed with the idea of getting a plow this year, to plow the neighbors in our subdivision, my shop, a few friends, and maybe even help clear some work zones for access to the trees. I didnt want to go all out, but nothing short of quality was going to work for me. So we worked out a deal with a friend on his old plow, he thinks he might get me in the loop on some sub work this season. We'll see. I'd rather service my clients first if possible, but ill take what I can get to help offset the cost of the plow, new mount, and harrness. (A little ouchie, but I've come to like the pain apparently.)

So I am new to the business, but I've dealt with snow managment on the family farm and various Ag related businesses since I was a kid. Mostly with tractors, endloaders, and skidders. My favorite was the massive balderson blade on the three point of my John Deere, 8630. It moved mountains. I've had my CDL since '98, spent 10 years trucking most of the USA with a clean record, 4 years with a forestry bucket truck, responded to 5 seperate ice storms, including the 2" of ice that struck northern Arkansas a few years back...yada, yada....point is, I'm a good operator, and no stranger to the climate, but for that I'm also humble enough to learn..and learn..and learn. That's what I'm here for, mainly, and to have some fun, naturally.

I'll post up some pics of this past week's install when I have time. I'll be around lurking mostly, but I'll post up from time to time, and respond to most of the posts here as I go. Thanks for all the help in advance!

Take Care, Ryan. :drinkup:
  2. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome and congratulations. And on your behalf, it was nice to see (hear) you get on here and be humble and show a willingness to learn and listen. With your attitude you should do well. Be sure to post pics of your setup when you've got it installed.
  3. onemanband

onemanband Member

Welcome Aboard Ryan, I have several clients that would like trees taken down. The guy I or my customers usually call on is unreliable at best. Not sure exactly where you are at but may be able to throw business your way.
  4. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome back
  5. CoxFamilyTree

Thanks man, it's the only way to learn. I'll get some pics up once I can size them. The install went well enough. Of course, now the weather has no snow in sight, gives me more prep time though.
  6. snocrete

snocrete Banned

7. CoxFamilyTree

Thanks man. I really appreciate the contact. Peoria is a target market for me. I'm a climber and I've worked a lot of different markets. I've worked Quincy, the quad cities, Bloomington Normal, Champaign Urbana and the greater east central Illinois region. I'd be glad to come up and spend the day looking at trees and giving bids. I handle residential, commercial and municipalities. I've bid on state work and have a municipal utility system to bid on this winter. I carry enough insurance that contracts like that require. So whatever you have up there, I can handle properly. Just wanted to offer that bit of confidence. Feel free to refer your people to me, and call me sometime. 3zero9-6442308. I'm also at coxfamilytreecare@gmail.com.

We'll have to get together sometime. I meet to pick up my girls in the Peoria area every other Friday to get my girls and then again on Sunday to drop them off. If you get a lot of snow and I've nothing to do because it misses us, I would come up and lend a hand. Keep in touch and thanks again!!
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  8. CoxFamilyTree

Thanks brother!
  9. CoxFamilyTree