1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First Year on my own

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Keith_480231, Sep 6, 2004.

1. Keith_480231

Keith_480231 Senior Member

Going to do residental removal this as the owner. Looking for anyone that could pass along some advice about agreements vs. actual contracts. Going to use seasonal pricing. Going to shoot for around 300-400 customers. Guy I have been working with uses real simple agreements. Thanks for any info!

2. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

sounds pretty good but 300-400 customers is hard to get. How do you plan on doing this?

3. Keith_480231

My first year

Going to use the "flyer" system. Have seen it done for a couple of years now and going to give it a try. Will have to put out approxiametly 30 to 40 thousand "flyers" to do this. I will using a one price per season agreement.

4. Dnipro Max

Dnipro Max Member

Its going to be expensive advertising, are going to put your price on the all fryers the same for all peoples driveways?

5. Keith_480231

My First Year

Yes I am going to keep all the prices the same for all driveways. Have seen it done for the last 4 years and works real well. As for the advertising most of it will be "hand" passed out. Could never afford all the postage to ALL be mailed. If you had any suggestions please let me know. Thanks for the help.

6. Hell..... getting 300 - 400 driveways accounts is going to put you in a insane asylum, 1) try getting that many accounts, 2) try servicing that many homeowners, who will all want their drives done at 6:00am, and if there not god help ya!
    For my money, go commercial, but good luck and let us know how it works out. :eek: :eek: :eek:

7. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

300- 400 customers? This is a crazy question but do you have help? I am jsut curious because you said this is your first year on your own.

8. Keith_480231

First year

Yes in the process right not to line up some drivers. Why how many customers do you guys average? :confused:

9. rainair

rainair Senior Member

seeking 3-400 new cust.

ok this is my 2c, Yes folks it is a numbers game when looking for more business.... if you get 10% of your flyers back and if you put on there, a coupon that reads " return this card before Oct.25th and request to be put on our good friends and neighbors list at a 10% discount for seasonal winter care" also you might want to set up a 10% discount program for referral program such as we have.. it works! I had 1 customer call me, I can't get up my drive with my jeep!...ok guys those that are laughing... she had a drive with a steep hill, and sealcoated! yes she was locked in 4x4...
    that customer owned a drug store in town.. got me 2 other drives her bill at home ended up at $10.00 that month...netted for me.....250.00 more each event. oh yea No trigger for her drive... if it snows salt or plow or both!
    but if you get just 10% from your fliers, if you can plow/salt... at 15 min per drive, 4 per hour [includes travel] your needing 5 drivers/plows....to be taking care of each drive/ customer!
    m2c.....Bill

10. Keith_480231

Responce

Hey there Bill I have found that with a guy that I have been working with for a few years that he is averaging approxiametly a 1% return on the flyers ( people that actually become customers. I think that last year we put out approxiametly 60000 flers and had 632 customers. So what is that equal out to? What methods are you using? Would be interested to see. Said 300-400 customers but what the heck a 1000 would be nice too! Thanks for any comments. :waving:

11. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

how many people do you have working for you? becuase that is an aweful lot of plowing. if there is any driving involved your talking tops of 50 per driver. 400 devided by 50 is 8 drivers 1000 devided by 50 is 20. good luck in your pipe dreams.

12. Keith_480231

My First Year

Surprisingly enough I worked last year using this and averaged about 80-115 homes per night. Area's that I am going to concentrate on for customers is very tight and the mapping info is awesome the way it is set-up! Like I said earlier last year we had 632 and had 5 drivers. But we also have a map reader/snow shoveler in each truck also. Really helps when you don't have to stop all the time to read map/special instructions. Have a 2" trigger and only go out at night for safety. Plus less traffic means easy driving . Thanks for everyone's help.

13. rainair

rainair Senior Member

that many stops

what did you charge per drive? and how many trucks or hand driven snow blowers did you have?
    where did you get the door hangers printed?
    just need more info to get my head from rattling on this one
    Bill

14. gpin

gpin Senior Member

Your plan sounds ambitious. Do you have a back up resource? I plan on 4 - 6 hrs of work per manned vehicle per event. That leaves me room for problems or backing up other contractors. If you plan too much work, some of your customers will be unhappy. All of my new business is from referall but I have to ask my current clients for the referalls. They rarely refer you even if they are happy. BUT if they are peod with your service, then the word gets out. Residential is a good start but as you get experience start to work in commercial work.

15. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

just a warning. i did this with my lawncare and landscaping co. i used c and g newpaper, it was 3.9 cents per flyer/house. it went out in us mail service.

what was the outcome you ask?

2 prank phone calls!!!

i even had a coupon for free 3rd week.

the flyers went to 15k homes and only 2 calls... but then again it was a month late. they went out in april instead march :(

good luck, keep us posted how it goes!

16. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

How on earth would you be able to handle 300-400 accounts?? Waht equipment do you have to handle such a commitment??

17. Keith_480231

My first year

Usually sub out work to guys with trucks. I will pay a set price per house. I have averaged between $700-$1000 per storm while working with my former boss. On the price for driveways I will charge a set price for the season. Somewhere in the neighborhood of say $179. My season will go from approx. Nov. 1st till April 1st. Checking out the weather stats and from own personal experience I estimate that there are between 5-8 storms that will have to be handled.

18. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

Where in Michigan are you located?

19. Keith_480231

My first year

I am near Mt. Clemens how 'bout you?