1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First year guy here. Talking driveways.

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by HuskerSnow, Oct 17, 2010.

1. HuskerSnow

HuskerSnow Member

This will be my first year plowing and right now I'm gonna be plowing the family business lot and gonna be helping out a friend of the family with his accounts when he needs it. (probably be helping him out if theres 5" or more) I've had a couple people see the plow mount and light bar on the truck and ask me how much I would charge to do a driveway....
    So what do you guys charge to do residential driveways? and how much extra would you charge to blow the front walk and the sidewalks?
    THANKS guys! :D

2. HuskerSnow

HuskerSnow Member

So almost 100 views and I guess NOBODY has EVER done driveways and could possibly help me with some info..... Thanks...

3. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

You have to figure out your costs. I know being new it's going to be a little difficult. Here is how you start. Figure out how much time it's going to take to plow each driveway, and plug in your hourly rate. Your hourly rate will be made of your equipment costs, your expected life of your equipment, your fuel, your insurance, your business cost, your labor, and so forth. If you do a search on here you will find more info on how to set your hourly rates, and how to bid.

4. Neige

Neige Sponsor

How could we possible help you with that. You are from Nebraska, I am from Montreal Canada. What are the going rates in your area? What will your market bare? What are your costs? How much snow do you get? In how many events? Are you charging per push? Seasonal? Hourly? What is your trigger? etc. I have towns next door that charge 30% less than I m charging, pricing is a very personal thing. It takes some hard work to figure out how much you should charge. Do your homework and you will get the answer you seek, that is right for you. Good luck

5. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

If you're doing the drive+walks I would guess you should be in the $30-$50 range. Of course it depends on the size of the account and ease of plowing it. Lots of variables as has been said. At least that gives you some reference point.

6. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Did it occur to you to ask the friend of the family you are going to plow for this question?

If not, ask him ~ he may be your best source of info.....

7. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

[​IMG] I was thinking the same thing. :waving:

8. gtstang462002

gtstang462002 Senior Member

I don't typically see as much snow as the guys up north, but I get $150 for short driveways(less than 1/4 mile) and go up from there. That is per push. Salt is of course extra and the driveways are for the beer money after plowing for the county.

9. WIPensFan

Your driveways and my driveways are different. I don't consider a 1/4 mile or less long drive short!

10. gtstang462002

gtstang462002 Senior Member

lol I grew up on a driveway that was over a mile long...

11. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

$1,000 a trip. You may not get many driveways, but you'd only need one or two.

12. HuskerSnow

HuskerSnow Member

THANKS GUYS! just the info I was looking for.

13. lawnlandscape

lawnlandscape Senior Member

Keep in mind the cost of fixing all the damage you do to the lawn, and everything else thats around the driveways with your plow. We don't plow driveways. In my opinion plows are not made for driveways. To risky. I suggest snow blowing them. But there are many people on here that disagree with me. Neige is one of them.

14. WIPensFan

I would be another guy that disagrees with you. You keep mentioning damage to the lawn. I pull everything out then push onto the median in front of the property. I haven't damaged a lawn in forever, seriously! There are different ways to do them but not all involve damaging the lawn. We used to do it like you with big blowers, for many years. I'm not saying you can't do it your way, but there are other viable alternatives( easier and 10x faster ) to your method.

15. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

I Really Disagree with you.....Good money to be made in the resi. Market..Its to bad you feel this way..As big as an operator you are or claim to be, it would not cost you very much to outfit a truck and go for it....If you sit down and do some basic figures on what you could do in an hour with a truck doing driveways i think it would peak your interest.....Did you see the webnar Neige did for SIMA????...If not..I suggest you take a look....

16. snocrete

snocrete Banned

First, I love your new equipment lineup in your sig :laughing::laughing:

Second, I agree with the above statement. When properly setup, resi's can be just as profitable as comm. Personnaly I like a mixture of both though.

17. plowking15

plowking15 Member

Hi,Husker. How are you going to mange your time? What time does your family lot need to be plowed for business? If you pick up driveways besides helping your friend, new customers usually want to be plowed or opened up early to get to work,then you have to go back and replow when they are gone.You look like you have a older truck,like myself,so maintence and repairs are a consideration. I used to have thirty drives,now I run a plow for the highway dept. I spent 2300.00 last year for a transmission rebuild,previous years of plowing caught up to her. plowking

18. lawnlandscape

The way you do it is illegal.... at least in my county.

19. WIPensFan

It's the way it's done here. As long as the snow doesn't end up on someone elses property it's all good.

20. lawnlandscape

You talk as though I don't know my numbers.... lol...

1) Neige does not plow driveways.... he uses tractors with blowers.

2) You also seem to think I don't have any trucks with plows?!? I have a whole fleet of plow trucks... and here is something that is going to blow you mind.... 90% of the stops we make at homes are with a truck that has a plow on it... but... the plow sits in the street on the truck while we service the property.

3) I don't know of a single driveway that I can not blow as fast or faster then I would be able to plow it. Plus: We are out with blowers and shovels anyway because we offer FULL SERVICE show removal. Much more profitable

[​IMG]