1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First year flying solo

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by cplmac, Nov 28, 2009.

1. cplmac

cplmac Senior Member
    from Dundee

Hello all, been lurking for a week or so trying to pick up a thing or two. I've been running a skid steer most of the last eight years dragging a subdivision. This year I finally popped for my own ride. I have my own account now which has about 20 properties, mostly residential driveways with a couple small commercial lots. Total size combined is probably just under 3 acres, with the overwhelming majority of that being driveway, including one property with a 1/3 mile long driveway. At any rate, I bought an '01 F250 SuperDuty that came with a well used 8'2" Boss PolyV and today I went and bought a Buyers TGSUVPROA spreader, earlier this week I picked up a pallet of bagged salt so I think I'm ready to go. I assembled and hung the spreader but tomorrow I have to run the wiring harnesses, that shouldn't be a problem, I've wired all kinds of things into vehicles. Also picked up an amber MARS magnetic light for the roof and a spotlight I plan on mounting over the spreader pointing straight down so I can check the spreader operation from my mirrors from time to time.

Couple of questions, first the plow which is my biggest concern. One of the cutting edges has about a six inch piece missing off the inboard side, I can have one fabricated but is it best to just spring for the OEM edge? Second, when I move the blade as a straight blade from left to right the blade changes shape to a V or scoop, I'm thinking it might be low on hydro, is that a possible cause or do I need to worry about having bum wing cylinders? If it's something serious I will just weld the blade straight and use it like an 8'2" straight blade. Second, salt. I'm hemming and hawing on how much to charge and how much I'm going to use per event. I'm thinking right now I'll use about 1500 pounds per event, but that could be changed dramatically after the first time I run this route and get a handle on it. As for pricing, I'm looking at charging either $15 or $20 per bag spread. The salt ran me about $4.50/bag after tax by the pallet, the 49 bag pallet was something like $220. I will probably get whatever I ask for with the salt because I gave a good rate on the plowing and I am connected to these properties. Does that seem like a fair rate on the salt?

Sorry to bomb you guys with questions all at once but god willing we are going to see some snow at some point this season and I've got to get my ducks in a row here. The truck I think will be okay, although the steering sometimes is very hard for no real apparent reason. I believe the truck has a tranny cooler just behind the bumper.
  2. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome plow site ok first problem is the cutting edge get a new one they are there for that reason wear, your going to go thru them. Second not a big guy on v's but you might have a bad seal in the pump letting fluid leak by and its just a rebuild kit with the seals and o rings should fix that. Third not double second LOL the salt spreader has a slow flow rate so it will take longer to apply. You need to find out market price for your area 15-20 bucks applied sound kind of high but your area might allow the price. If you have only 1 skid and are going to use 1500 lbs what if it is a all day storm with several applications in one day you should have reserves in stock.
  3. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Were you don't know much about your plowing gear it might be best to have it serviced at your dealer before the snow flys. Not only is it good practice in the game of preventive maintenance, but you'll atleast know were you stand with it, instead of just crossing your fingers all season. I would definitely pick up a new edge for it as well.

WELD A V BLADE TO A STRAIGHT BLADE.........good god man, are you crazy???? Maybe you should weld those loose nuts and bolts in your head, there way too loose. :dizzy: Seriously man, your not off to a good start if your thinking like that.

Out of curiosity, how is it you got these accounts without knowing what you were going to charge for salting. If this place is as big as you say it is, one pallet isn't going to cut it. Get it while you can and the prices are decent :rolleyes: if there is such a thing.

The fact the steering is binding up for no apparent reason tells me there is further issues to address there as well, and I can assure you, it's not going to be ok until you do. Check your ball joints, wheel bearings, u joints in the steering shaft, pitman arm, drag link, tie rod, it's never ending. If your state has an inspection law you might want to go get one even if your not due. It's a cheap way of getting a to do list in a hurry.

Is this thread a joke......is there a candid camera somewhere around me.....Where is Ashton Kutcher...

I don't mean to be arrogant or insensitive, in fact I started out fairly serious, but as I re read the post...You need to stop & think or your going to tank your first year out man. If I were in your shoes I might take a step back an go get some more experience this year as a sub. You have a decent bargaining chip for higher pay. Using a loader and driving a truck is two very different things with there own set of skills & problems that go along with it.

Good luck with whatever you choose. :waving:
  4. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

double post again..... Mod please delete.
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  5. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

I agree with Repoman you might want to get someone to sub at least for a back up its to late in the yr to start out with problems like you have spend some $$$ take the plow to the dealer and let them fix it instead of guessing what is wrong and never weld a v into a straight blade it would be a waste of a good blade. good luck with what ever you get figured out. :)
  6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Salt pricing sounds about right.
    Get new cutting edges
    Have a Boss dealer do a service on the plow
    Downlaod a service and repair manual for your own references in the future.
  7. cplmac

cplmac Senior Member
    from Dundee

I bought the new style Boss cutting edges and installed them today. They have the curb guards and snow catcher all as part of the blade. Now I have a different problem, the blade sits okay straight, perfect in scoop and several inches off the ground in the center in the V. I did some searching around here and it seems like maybe moving the mounting hitch up a bolt hole may be the answer. Not real happy with the gap in the snow catcher, it's about an inch in all positions. Looks good though and the old edges were really shot. Oh, and my first salt run took 1400 pounds, my last run took 900 because there was a lot left over from the first run. I'm expecting a normal run to take about 1100 from here on out. The spreader works like a champ and I wired the spotlight up to the vibrator switch on the spreader controller in the cab. Bring on the snow!