1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First winter storm and already had it with snow.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by frankmachine, Dec 25, 2004.

1. frankmachine

frankmachine Junior Member

The first snow storm has come and gone but i have had enough already.
    I got the call Wednesday morning be ready the snow is coming ,,be on site for midnight.. OK fine . I had to get some sleep ,, yeah sure i just finished sleeping all night ,,how the heck am I going to sleep . Sleep will have to wait to at least Thursday afternoon..how nice.
    I leave home at 10:45 and would say at this time there was maybe 3 to 4 inches of snow on the ground and it was coming down not to heavy ... I got on site at about 11:3O. Park my car and go start the loader (john deere 544 g) come out and see the one of the rear tires is almost flat . Get back in my car let the loader warm up for 15 minutes go to climb in loader I must must locked the loader door . I was very happy at this time , I only live 25 miles away and 45 minute drive in the snow. Lucky i remembered there was a loader at other site 10 minutes away ..I beamed up the operator and he had a extra deere key ...whew saved the day for me sort of..
    Limped the loader to gas station to pump some air in tire but the end of air hose was buried in the snow and frozen ,, so off to the next gas station the air pressure was not good at all took 45 minute to pump up the tire to maybe 20psi think the tire is supposed to be at 35 psi. Talk about having fun crouching for a prolonged period of time.
    Finally i am ready to plow i go hook up to thew 13' foot avalanche pusher .
    I am pushing snow but the snow now is coming down hard enough where to where i look behind to see that i am getting no where , it is coming down faster than I push it .. I go to call my boss ,, i lost my phone ,,,, it must have fell out of my pocket ...I looked for it.....no luck ,even went to to phone booth and called the phone no luck ,,,may be some one will find it when the snow melts. At would say 9 am the snow stopped and the freezing rain began . The snow was still not to bad to push but at 1130 am the tire that was underflated come right off the bead ...... well that was the end of day for me till later. Got new phone and went home to bed...and got the boss to call the tire guy.
    I managed a whole 4 hours sleep and went back to plowing at 11 pm.
    it only took about 45 minute for the ice to melt off the windows of the loader, i used a paper mate pen as ice scaper. The tire was repaired and inflated. After a foot of snow and 3 hours of freezing rain the pusher was not working to well i would push for 50 feet and then spin ,, and i was not down to the black top. Took the pusher off and point the bucket down and make long passes with np getting to the blacktop ,then put the pusher on and make passes over the icey snow I had just chipped away .
    This was the first time i had plowed this lot ,,, i guess it to be 25 acres.
    The freezing rain pretty much doubles the time it should have taken me to plow the entire lot ....... well that and going out way before the snow has stopped. I got done at 11AM ..
    I already had enough of winter ....i hear snow and i wanna cry !
    PS We are a sick breed,,, but i will out there every storm.

Everyone have a merry X mas ..

544g john deere loader / 13' pusher

2. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

that was a great bed time story.Okay im off to :sleeping:

3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

We had the same crap north of Toronto. I was out for 21 hours. I am having a hard time seeing why everyone is happy for the big snow storm. Whats wrong with a lousy 3". We still get to push, we get paid and our equipment survives. I hope I don't see another one of those this winter. I know what you mean by hating winter. Until I get out to do it I am a wreck. Snow Happens I just have to live with it. I just finished salting one of my plazas because I didn't want to get up a 5 am to go and do it.

4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Yep, and after all that the boss asks: Why did it take 4 hours? I can do it in 2 and salt it! Dang employees

5. Ole JIM

Ole JIM Senior Member

I Noticed You never Mentioned the Tire Man Pumping IN Calcium in Your Loader Tire?--here We Put Calicum in all four!--Works GREAT & Adds Traction too! I Assume? here in MAINE! were a Bit more Prepaired!--as We usually Carry our Own ICE Scrapers--I really like the Ones w/the Brass Cutting Edges! as they DO a Great JOB & Brass even though Its METATL--Its Softer than GLASS & Won*t Hurt the GLASS & when Theres thick ICE-say 1/4 inch --I Spray some Windsheild De-ICER On & let It SiT for a few Minutes! as I Start & allow the Machine to RUN & Warm UP!--after Checking All the Fluid Levels!--& with-In a few Minutes? Those Icey Windows are Pretty Easy to clean whats left of any ICE OFF!--I Like using a LOADER in Tight Spaces! as YOU can SEE Real GOOD--UP High!--& You can Plie SNOW to the Moon!--I DONO? I Guess I have been Plowing for so many Yrs! I Honestly Don*t CARE! What Machine the Road Commisiner Asigns ME!--& I Don*t Pay all that Much Attention to Weather Reports!--But--When I get asigned to the WALTERS Snow FIGHTER! I Know were In for a Bad ONE! But Once We Do get Started!--& I get All my Stuff in whatever CAB! I*M HOME!--GOD BLESS GUYS --Ole JIM--

6. danthegrassman

danthegrassman Member

I know what you mean about the last storm. I'm here in Etobicoke/Mississauga and this last storm was a killer. Being the first big storm of the year it takes usually longer then the following storms later in the year . It takes a few plow to get aquianted to the new lots you have to plow, youkeep finding the fastest way through your route list, you get familiar with the places and so on...

But this last storm was taxing on me physically and Mentally and on the crew as well. We didn't really have a lot of snow but the freezing rain and the phone ringing off the hook with people wanting estimates, people want to sign up (from estimates provided earlier), people calling to find out when we are coming by, people wanting salting, people wanting extra work, people making sure we didn't run off with the money and not on vacation and so on......

This strom was brutal.

it stopped snowing at the worst possible time.

i.) on a holiday when people are at home to complain.
    ii.) during the day...when people are up to complain, when roads are jammed.
    iii.) first snowfall of the year...so they bug us when will we come by.
    iv.) lots of cars in driveways and lots to block us from plowing properly
    vi.) 4cm of freezing rain, and 18.4cm of snow, and rain too to make it hard packed.

I hope this was the biggest snowfall of the year!

UnHappy plower, Dan

7. Tom Smith

Tom Smith Senior Member
    from IL

I hate days like that where everything goes wrong !! I get so mad i just want to give up.... but then u just gotta laugh and expect the rest of the day to be the same ****.... lol... o well be prepared for the next snow
    :realmad:

8. snowinjoe

snowinjoe Senior Member

Frankmachine, I was down thru Oakville Burlington and Hamilton on the weekend. I much prefer the 14inches of just snow we got then the crap you guys got. I noticed that some lots looked alot better then others Which lot were you doing if it was the one on dorval then I'm very impressed I even mentioned it to the wife as we got our Mcdonalds. Very little response maybe she wasnt even with me. Come to think of it I did eat both happy meals. Too much time alone plowin has me talkin to myself. Let me know when the pile gets too big and I'll come down with the blower and make it snow again for you.

9. SWC

SWC Senior Member
    from VA

First Winter Storm

Why didn't you just stick the end of the air hose into the cab of the loader and let it thaw?

Keep and extra key or two on you.

Be happy you get to go out and play in the snow.

Snow plowing is fun, you make it sound awful.

Are you a girl? :confused:

10. ta3834bbl

ta3834bbl Senior Member

That's nice, SWC. :dizzy:

11. SWC

SWC Senior Member
    from VA

First Winter Storm

Yeah, I'm a nice guy; Can't you tell? :cool:

12. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Nice guys finish LAST!

13. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

id rather have alot of 4"storms than one big one.alot easier on the equipment
    and drivers. instead of putting the air chuck in the cab stick it into the exhaust pipe works alot faster
    john

14. SWC

SWC Senior Member
    from VA

First winter storm

That'll work too, as long as you're careful so you don't burn a hole in the hose.

Either way is a lot better than ridding to another station, and taking the risk of ruining a $400 tire for $0.75 worth of air.

I've ran equipment most of working life, believe me, it pays to think about things like that.

Maybe I'm just :dizzy: , but doesn't that loader have an air hose on board?

15. SWC

SWC Senior Member
    from VA

First winter storm

And who finishes first?

The nice guy who let's his people abuse the equipment, or the A$$hole who makes them take care of it the way their supposed to?

Nice is a relative term IMHO.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2004
  16. ta3834bbl

ta3834bbl Senior Member

17. Yoman

Yoman Junior Member
    from Toronto

I worked 36 hrs on that night ( i'm doing in Markham ) :cry:

18. snowjockey

snowjockey Junior Member

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow

Hey weve all been there a time or two .We all say were sick of it at the end of the big one till it snows again and were right back out there .Like you said we must be a special breed .I dont know if were sick though .Alll i can say is" let it snow let it snow let it snow "I love seeing those pennies from heaven