1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First Western Tornado, Warning lights??

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by AllHands, Dec 16, 2015.

1. AllHands

AllHands Junior Member

hey guys, new to this site and looking for some info from any of you who have western tornado spreaders and maybe have done this. I just purchased my first one to outfit a new plow truck i just bought and put on the road. my questions are:
    1) has anyone that has one ever mounted or drilled into it to mount some kind of LED warning lights on either the side or the rear?? Trying to find out if this is possible to drill into the poly in a few places to do so? Dealer was kind of "iffy" on it and couldnt tell me how to or what areas were safe to do so. Anyone ever done this?? if so how did you do it and wire it and please include pictures if it wouldnt be too much trouble. Thanks guys!

2) Has anyone treated the metal parts such as the conveyor, chain and such with some type of anti-corrosive film/spray? If so which did you use and how did it work?? Thanks a ton guys, any info on what worked for you greatly appreciated

2. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

I wouldn't drill into the poly. I'm sure it can be done, but I'm also sure it can be done differently. This is how I mounted mine. They automatically come on in reverse, and also have an in-line switch so that I can leave them on and see my spread pattern when salting. This is mine, before and after installing lights. Mine plugs directly into my trailer light outlet.

20141023_145114 [1600x1200].jpg

20141109_181652 [1600x1200].jpg

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Don't drill in the poly if you don't have to.
    Find other places to mount them.

4. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Just Put reflective tape all around the spreader; makes it real noticable from all sides.

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Good idea, still doesn't help with visibility for the operator.

Edit......thought he wanted added light to see what he was doing.

6. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I have a 1st gen western and drilled through the back leg at the top with an longer bolt to go all the way through the void to the other side. Because it's poly you will have to run the ground to the truck as well, you can't just ground it on the spreader. No big deal, mine has held up for seven years now...

7. AllHands

AllHands Junior Member

thanks alot guys, all good info. I have two LED work lights that were installed by the dealer, i was just asking you guys about putting like amber LED warning lights on the back of the spreader because the dealer kind of didnt know. I figured if they can drill and mount the LED work lights on the back of it why not a warning light?? maybe i ill just put reflective tape on it.

8. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

I have work and strobes on both of are's.Ran all the wires through the cavity of the poly layers for a clean look with no issues whatsoever... I grounded thru the module, power is feed separately to my upfitter switches..

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  9. AllHands

AllHands Junior Member

do you have any pictures of that Hysert?? id love to see them for some ideas. Thanks a ton! how hard was it to drill and run the wires through the poly?

10. redclifford

redclifford Senior Member
    from Niagara

All of my salters have work and strobe lights. I've mounted them to the poly and I've never had an issue in 8years, your dealer doesn't seem to be all there..

11. AllHands

AllHands Junior Member

Red,
    the dealer is great and takes great care of us, i think he is just being overly cautious not wanting to do something thats not factory approved. so we will do it ourselves. Did you drill and run the wires through the poly? or on the outside?

12. Hysert

I can upload a pic tmr.. it's really no big deal there is already one hole in the spreader where the third brake light wire runs, I used surface mount strobes and drilled a small hole behind to run the wire into the cavity! Then make a fish hook and start fishing through that brake light wire hole for your strobe wire inside thr somewhere??? This can be a PITA!!! Lol... on the dump my work light are under the box, my pickup has hideaways in the tail light reverse sockets, so the reverse work lights are on the salter, again feed the wires through and plugged into the trailer plug on the bumper..

13. F250/XLS

F250/XLS Senior Member
    from Canada

Drilled my back up cam and licence plate rack / lights and ran wires like hysert did thru the cavity....

14. AllHands

AllHands Junior Member

Great thanks so much hysert, looking foward to the pics of where you mounted it, then ill have a better idea what works as opposed to what im not sure works lol :)

15. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

some type of warning lights on back of truck or spreader is a good idea for those idiots that want to tailgate

the lights are nice so you can see the spread pattern at night...might need to adjust them first time out

16. Hysert

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015